Subaru Legacy '95 and Britax Boulevard Car Seat

U

Unregistered

I just bought a Britax Boulevard car seat that I'd really like to use in my 1995 Subaru Legacy Station Wagon. Ideally, I'd like to install it in the middle of the back seat as is recommended, but the buck on the seatbelt bends at the point where it is threaded through the car seat -- which Britax specifically states is not a proper fit. Do I have to install the seat by a window instead, or is there a way to use the middle belt properly? Has anyone had experience installing this or some other Britax in the '95 Legacy Station Wagon. Thanks!

ADS

twokidstwodogs

Older Subaru center buckle stalks are a royal pain.....

You can twist the buckle stalk up to three times to help shorten the belt. That may not be enough to get a good fit, in which case, you're better off putting the seat outboard.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
This is a lap-only seat belt, right?

You can twist the buckle stalk (the "female" end of the seat belt) up to three times, which will shorten it and usually pull the latchplate (the "male" end) down out of the carseat's beltpath.

OR you can flip the latchplate over (180 degrees) and buckle it "upside down." This will allow it to stay locked.

Either method may make it harder to install the seat; it helps to have a helper. It definitely should be possible, though!

twokidstwodogs

It definitely should be possible, though!

Maybe not. In my 99 Forester, it was necessary to twist 4.5 times to get a really tight center fit with the buckle out of the belt path on both a Snugride and Roundabout. (At the time, I was under the mistaken impression that you could twist up to six times safely.) Not sure about how different the 95 Legacy is, though.

ETA: It was not possible to get the buckle all the way through the belt path. But perhaps the Boulevard's belt path is different. I own MAs too, but can't remember how I had them installed in the center of the Forester.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hmm... if it's that long, is it possible to pull it all the way into the belt path? That is acceptable, too, as long as it's all the way in and not cocked on the edge. I can see that being hard with the Blvd base being so high, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC