Recaro Como Consumer Advisory

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
http://www.recaro.com/fileadmin/extensions/rec_usa/pics/Child_Safety/Consumer_Advisory.pdf

November 2007

CONSUMER ADVISORY

RECARO Como Child Seat – ‘LOCK-OFF’/3-PT GUIDE Information

To assist consumers in understanding the function of the 3-point guide (commonly known as a
lock-off), RECARO North America has updated the terminology used in product manuals. The
term ‘lock-off’ has been replaced with the term ‘3-point guide’, which is a more accurate description
of purpose and function of this part in the industry. The purpose of the guide is to improve the
child restraint system geometry for certain vehicle applications and does not create any safety advantage
or disadvantage whether called a guide or lock-off. The crash safety performance of the
Como seat is not affected.
The 3-point guide is not a safety feature; it is used to aid consumers in proper installation and positioning
of the child restraint system. There are some applications where proper installation may be
slightly difficult, due to a less compatible vehicle seat or seat belt. Child restraint geometry may
benefit from using the 3-point guide mechanism in these instances, rather than over tightening the
vehicle belt system.
RECARO North America has determined that certain Como seats manufactured prior to Sept. 17th
2007 may have a variance in the friction strength of the 3-point guide. If you feel as a consumer
that installation of your child seat is difficult in your vehicle application, RECARO can provide you
with a locking clip at no cost, which can be used with your vehicle seatbelt system. You may contact
RECARO by calling 1-800-8-RECARO or via email at childseats@recarousa.com. RECARO
will ship you a locking clip along with installation instructions free of charge. Please provide the
model, serial number and manufacturing date so our customer service representatives can better
assist you and help determine if your child seat would benefit from a locking clip.

ADS

lovinwaves

All Como's and Signo's after September 17th will also *probably* need a locking clip. The other alternative would be to rely on your vehicle's switchable retractor, or locking latchplate to lock the carseat in place. Not all vehicles have these feature which locks the seatbelt, so a locking clip is a must.

Jeanum

Staff member
I agree the Signo should be part of this advisory, too, because the wording has been changed in newer Signo manuals to no longer say lock-offs. :whistle:

ZephyrBlue

So, they're basically saying- "We won't replace anymore seats even though our 3point guide/lock off doesn't hold the belt tight, but we'll send you a free locking clip"

???

Nice job Recaro :rolleyes:

Morganthe

Oh, I'm so glad I didn't wait for this insanity and instead chose the Crazy Britax situation with the Regent last July. At least I know my dd fits the seat AND it will install safely in cars despite all their 'enhanced' bs double speak.

Parents should not have to go through all this extra useless stress to choose a proper seat for their children! :mad:

Last edited:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
They had to do somehting to try to cover thier butt's. I am sure they had way to many complaints and they had to address the isue before it got to far. Very laim I must say. :thumbsdown:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Um... how come they keep saying that a "lock-off" and a "3-pt guide" are the SAME THING? I'm beginning to wonder if I'm totally wrong about the function of those two things.

ZephyrBlue

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm totally wrong about the function of those two things.

I think this is exactly what they are hoping will happen. People will get confused, and think, "Oh, I thought it was a lock-off, but I must have misunderstood something along the way. Hmm. Oh, well."

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
So lock-offs and belt-guides are two totally different things? WOW. I am completely digusted with Recaro.

Mama!

Parents should not have to go through all this added stress to chose a proper seat for their children! :mad:

I'm ready to cry. I hope they dont think they can not refund me because of this.

And AMEN Morganthe. AMEN. I should NOT HAVE TO WORK THIS HARD TO GET A DECENT SEAT.

Mama!

Um... how come they keep saying that a "lock-off" and a "3-pt guide" are the SAME THING? I'm beginning to wonder if I'm totally wrong about the function of those two things.

No, they built the seats with the INTENTION of having FF lockoffs. But they didnt work. So now, they are suddenly called BELT GUIDES!:thumbsdown:

abacus2

:thumbsdown: :mad:

I am sooooo glad I didn't fall for the hype and order one of these seats as the lock-offs are the primary feature of high-end seats that I think make them worth the money on my tight budget.

Niea

So the RF ones are "belt guides" too, that just happen to hold the seatbelt tighter?

In other words it sounds like people should not rely in the RFing "belt guides" if their belts don't lock on their own. Recaro might as well include a locking clip with every seat, then, just like very other manufacturer.

UlrikeDG

NHTSA may not have tested it yet. They don't preapprove seats. They test them for compliance after the fact!

crunchierthanthou

So the RF ones are "belt guides" too, that just happen to hold the seatbelt tighter?

In other words it sounds like people should not rely in the RFing "belt guides" if their belts don't lock on their own. Recaro might as well include a locking clip with every seat, then, just like very other manufacturer.

They changed the rf term to belt clamps when they started calling the ff one a belt guide. Although I haven't read the manual in a couple weeks. Maybe they've changed that one too. :(

edit: I just checked and both the Como and Signo manuals are calling the rf one a clamp. I'm hoping that by "clamp" they don't really mean "something that doesn't actually lock the seatbelt".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC