buying internationally

U

Unregistered

what do i have to be careful about when buying a car seat from outside of Canada, specifically from Pakistan? are car seats bought from there acceptable here?

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
what do i have to be careful about when buying a car seat from outside of Canada, specifically from Pakistan? are car seats bought from there acceptable here?

If you are living or will be living in Canada soon, then you must use seats certified for use in Canada - bearing the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS). It's illegal to use non-Canadian certified seats.

I can't comment on Pakistan-certified carseats. Do you have any links to them? This is my curiosity peaking and not that I endorse using non-Canadian seats while living in Canada.

2manymilestogo

It is very likely that your seat will be seized at customs. Seats bought in Canada or sold into Canada by a registered distributor for the Canadian market, will bear the proper government stickers and tags making the seat legal to use in Canada. I can almost guarantee something from Pakistan will not...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't imagine pakistan having much in the way of standards or quality control either unless they just use EU seats. While I can understand the temptation of a US seat, there's no way on this earth that I'd trust a seat from there without the CMVSS mark on it... it'd be like buying a seat with no standards in China - have you ever seen what chinese cars do in crash tests? Those things are just death traps, nowhere near the safety of a north american vehicle. I have no problem or discomfort with CMVSS seats made in China, but a seat without those stickers I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole... Just too risky.

So even if you could get the seat into Canada, why would you want to?

Are you moving from there, or are you looking to buy wholesale lots from the likes of Alibaba?

Few seats from there will be compatible with the US/Canada. They only accept their own standards, as far as I know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC