Why are Britaxes so popular?

DesertQueen

In trying to make a decision about a car seat, I keep wondering what exactly makes Britax a coveted car seat brand. (I'm chasing after a Britax and don't know precisely why! :)) Are they so much better than other brands that I should just spend the hundreds of dollars it will cost to ship one here? (Hundreds of dollars for shipping + price of Britax = :eek:) Or are there other brands that are comparable?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I see that you're in the EU, so I know that you have different rules about importation and the like. I'm also not really familiar with other seats available, but there are a couple techs familiar with those countries seats.

Basically, when looking at American and CDN seats, Britax is one of the most recommended for a few reasons:

- They are one of the easiest seats to install, and they are compatible with pretty much every vehicle.
- They have built in lock-offs eliminating the need for locking clips.
- They can be tethered rf'ing, which adds additional stability to the restraint - especially useful in side impact crashes.
- They will fit most kids until they're big enough AND old enough to be in a booster, so in the long run they save money.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Because they are a great seat!

*They are super easy to install.
*The harness straps are so smooth when you are loosening and tightening them (my Graco seat always would pull ds forward when I would loosening them.
*High top harness slots
*Tethers RF
*They have built-in lock-offs
*They have fun covers
*They harness to 65lbs (well the MA, BV and DC do)

I'm sure there is lots more but that is what I can think of at the moment

DesertQueen

I'm actually in the UAE - most of the car seats here are from the UK or Europe.

So, would you pay the (lots of) extra money to get a Britax? There's very little available here. This is what I found today:

-Safety 1st Intera
-Safety 1st Enspira
-Safety 1st Alpha Omega
-Evenflo Orion
-Graco Comfortsport
-Graco JR Mini

I've done a little research on these seats on this website. I can't find anything for the Graco JR Mini or the Safety 1st Enspira and very little for the others. The stores here will sell old models without marking the price down or letting consumers know that they are, in fact, older models. (Makes me so angry.) For example, I found on here that the Evenflo Orion retailed for $60 in the U.S. The price on the one I saw today was @ $170! :mad:

scatterbunny

If the seats you listed are the only ones you have to choose from, other than a Britax, I'd try to get a Britax. :( The others all tend to be outgrown years earlier than the Britax (Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard, not Roundabout). Other US seats that are good choices are the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, Evenflo Triumph Advance (only Advance model) and Sunshine Kids Radian.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I'm actually in the UAE - most of the car seats here are from the UK or Europe.

So, would you pay the (lots of) extra money to get a Britax? There's very little available here. This is what I found today:

-Safety 1st Intera
-Safety 1st Enspira
-Safety 1st Alpha Omega
-Evenflo Orion
-Graco Comfortsport
-Graco JR Mini

If this is all you have to choose from then yes I would go for a Britax because it will last you much longer then the ones listed (not sure about the Graco JR Mini . . . never heard of it before). Will you buy your seat there or in the US and get it shipped to you?

Scatterbunny also listed a bunch of good choices as well :thumbsup:

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
also, all of the covers/ seats i've seen have been very plush and comfortable feeling. almost like sitting in a lazy boy recliner versus a wooden chair with a pillow.

DesertQueen

Okay, what if I were to chose one of the ones from the list in my pp? Which should I go with? Now we're thinking that we'll buy one of those and then, WHEN we go to the U.S. for our summer visit (in July 2008), we will buy a Britax Marathon and bring it back with us on the plane. That way we'll have an extra carseat as back up.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What kind of information do you have on the Graco JR Mini? For example harness slot height and max weight limits rf and ff?

DesertQueen

Well, we just got SUPER lucky. DH had to go back to Dubai today to pick up a bed and mattress and, on a feeling, visited a few baby stores. He found the last one of 3 Britax First Class Si car seats at one of them. :thumbsup: (They arrived last night!) This model is equivalent to the Roundabout in the U.S., I believe.

This is fine for us for now. When DS gets a little bigger, we'll buy a Marathon (or equivalent model at the time) in the U.S. and bring it back here. But the First Class Si seat will go to 40 lbs.

I AM SOOOOO HAPPY!...and relieved that the search is over!!! :D

Thank you for all of your help with this...I'll be asking more questions once we install it.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Can you get any of these:

1) Jane
janeraccrsetcoal_m.jpg

2) Concord Ultimax
Champion_m.jpg

3) Britax First Class Si
41PYDXi4MCL._SX315_SY375_.jpg

Unfortunately, none of these are HWH seats. :(

scatterbunny

The Ultimax looks awesome, but she got a First Class Si, which sounds great, too. :) It may not actually last to 40 pounds, most 40 pound limit seats don't, the top slots just aren't tall enough to accommodate a kid that long. But the Marathon usually only lasts most kids to 40-55 pounds due to the top slot height, too. Great score on the Si!

DesertQueen

Unfortunately, none of these are HWH seats. :(

Uh-oh. That doesn't sound good. What does HWH mean? We bought the last one you listed by Britax. It's gonna have to work for 8 months until we can get to the U.S. Shipping on a Britax will cost @ $300. So, @ $270 + $300 = $570 for a car seat. :thumbsdown: We just can't afford that.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
HWH=High Weight Harness....as in it will hold a child who weighs more than 40 pounds.

Can you find the top harness slot in the Si? Measure from seat bottom to the top slot...that will tell you how long your childs torso can be in that seat.

To find the equalivant measurement on your child, sit them on the floor with their back against the wall and mark where the shoulder hits. Then measure from the floor to shoulder.

If you take those 2 measurements and find the difference...you'll know how much torso growing room you've got in that seat. Torso height usually takes longer to acquire than overall height.

Susan

I just saw that your child is 6 months old...I'm sure you have years in the SI for now...no need to panic. When you come back to the states you can get a MA...and you'll have 2 great seats to use!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC