Yet another Booster Question

dvmroth

My son is now 37 lbs and almost 7 years old. While I keep him harnessed in a Wizard for 95% of his drive time every now and then I find he needs to use a booster. I currently have a turbobooster and while he is skinny he definately meets the height requirememnts (obviously he meets weight requirements for turbobooster but I prefer to keep him harnessed for majority until 40lbs).

My question is that because he is on the small side and my husband and I both drive Subaru outbacks (my kids are riding "outboard") I am looking at buying a Parkway for him but I am also considering the Bodyguard. Technically he is too light for the bodyguard, but here are my questions:

1. How important is the weight difference if the seat belt/seat fits him properly?

2. Does the parkway have "true side impact protection"?

3. How beneficial are the lockoffs on the bodyguard and what the heck is "inertia loading" anyway?

I think I would really like the bodyguard for him (long term)and feel he would be safer in a Britax (w/side impact protection) if he HAS to ride in booster and is riding outboard. But I know he doesn't make the weight requirement--which might leave us with parkway. Obviously, he's safest in harness which is why I purchased a Wizard for him but I'm looking for booster with most protection for his weight and seating configuration when he has to ride in it.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You need to follow the manufacturer's recommendations ... I've been told that they test the seat at various weights so any weight less than recommended is not deemed safe.

The Parkway is for kids 30-100#, the Bodyguard for kids 40-100# Bodyguard adjusts by width & height, the Parkway only by height.

The belt lock-offs are only required on the Bodyguard because the seat is so heavy; the Parkway is lighter so there's no need for lock-offs. The only reason belt lock-offs might be more important to some people is if their vehicle is made before 1996 & therefore does not have a manual locking mechanism on the belts {either at the lacth plate or the retractor} ... some kids loosen the belt too much so the lock-offs on the Bodyguard are extra useful in such a situation, but not at all necessary on any other booster & in vehicles made after 1996.

The Parkway doesn't have armrests, which can make buckling easier ~ besides all this the seats are pretty much the same :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC