Britax Boulevard in 2006 Scion xB

U

Unregistered

We're having trouble installing our new Boulevard in our Scion xB. We had a Graco Safeseat that was getting too snug for comfort, so after lots of research, I chose the Boulevard. The Safeseat was installed outboard using LATCH, mostly because it wouldn't correctly install in the center--the shoulder belt pulled mercilessly upward on one side of the base, which made the seat itself all tilty. At the time, the folks at the seat check we visited recommended installing outboard with LATCH as the better option.

Fast forward to now. As you might imagine, the center position with the belt presents the same problem with the Boulevard as it did with the Safeseat. However, the outboard LATCH solution isn't working as well as I'd like, either; because the base of the Boulevard is so wide (wider than the 11" of the lower anchors), it's pulling to the side when we tighten it up. IE, one side is pulling itself even with one of the anchors while the other gets further away from the other anchor, up onto the very slight hump in the middle of the seat, but just enough to make the seat tilt just slightly.

DH, unaware that installing in the center with LATCH is not permitted by Scion (from what I understand) tried a center installation with LATCH, which turned out to be perfectly level and absolutely rock solid. But we're not supposed to do this, right? Has anyone read/heard anything different from Scion? (The manual is silent on the issue.)

We're going to find a seat check in our area ASAP, but does anyone have any advice in the meantime (other than to reinstall the Safeseat until we get this figured out, which is my plan for the time being)?

Thank you!!

Erin

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You're right in thinking that Scion doesn't allow a center lower LATCH anchor installation using the outboard anchors, just like their corporate big brother, Toyota, according to the LATCH manual. Here's the .pdf list of LATCH weight limits and center LATCH information by vehicle manufacturer excerpted from the LATCH manual for reference: http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf

If you find you don't get an acceptable install in the center with the seatbelt (less than 1" of movement at the carseat's belt path), or outboard using LATCH, perhaps give it a try with the seatbelt in the outboard position. Also, the built-in seatbelt lockoffs in the SS1 base and Blvd. typically help to reduce or eliminate tilting, so you might want to just use the built-in lockoffs per the carseat manuals, and not engage the vehicle shoulder belt's locking retractor. :twocents:

I have not tried installing carseats in the '04-'06 versions of the xB, but my DH drives an '08 model with the larger design, and I have used a Blvd. RF in it for my younger DD. The '08 model has a very flat rear seat, so it's probably not quite the same as the 2006's rear seat, based on your description. I think I remember hearing the '06 design has a two part center rear seatbelt, with the shoulder belt anchored in the ceiling. The '08 model has a more conventional style center lap-shoulder belt with the shoulder belt retractor positioned on the top of the vehicle seatback. Anyhow, if it's at all helpful, I'm able to get an acceptable RF Blvd. installation in the '08 xB on the passenger side with the seatbelt and Blvd's built-in seatbelt lockoff, or with LATCH. I did have to move up the front passenger seat a notch to avoid having the Blvd. touch the front seatback because the xB's manual warns against allowing a carseat to touch the front seatbacks due to the front airbag sensors. The warning is in the airbag section of the owner's manual and it might be the same for the '06 model, too. Just thought it's worth mentioning because Toyota/Scion didn't include the warning in the section about child restraints, unfortunately, and it can be easily missed. (I missed it in the manual for my '05 Toyota Sienna until another owner pointed it out to me, which is why I knew to double check for it in the xB's manual).

Hope my rambling is somewhat helpful. :) To seek out a certified technician in your area to assist you, you can use the Safe Kids locator at:
https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...tegory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=safekidscertSQL

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Easy fix! Install center with seat belt, but don't lock the seat belt. Use the built-in lock-offs instead. Check the manual for specifics on how to do that, but it will solve the tilting issue. :)

ThreeBeans

Since both the SafeSeat and the Boulevard have internal lockoffs, there was no need for you to ever have difficulty with the seatbelt install. The seatbelt did not need to be locked. It's a shame your techs didn't catch that. :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC