Just delving into used car buying...

scatterbunny

and need a few pointers in the right direction.

We don't want to spend more than $8k, but for the right safety features I can talk dh into a bit more, maybe $10k.

I am in love with the idea of a minivan, since dd rides in a Husky, and I'd like to have more passenger room than my '91 Accord allows.

I also would like AWD, since we're planning on buying a house/acreage in the wilderness within the next 5 years.

Safety is pretty important to us. I'm just worried we can't get much in the way of safety in our price range. We're considering leasing for this reason alone.

Dh says we don't necessarily need AWD for my vehicle, since he has a 4WD F-150, but I don't want to get something w/o it now, and regret it in a couple years if our new home is in the boonies. :p

I'm also open to the idea of another type of vehicle (car, SUV), as long as it's roomier than the typical sedan and fits our other criteria.

It needs to have headrests and lap/shoulder belts in at least five seating positions.

I've been looking at '98 Windstars, number one reason being they are very affordable, number two reason being they got good safety ratings from IIHS--better than the newer body style that came out in '99. I don't think they come with AWD though?

Is there anything in our price range that fits our needs/wants, or am I only dreaming?

ADS
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2162/act/usedcarreviewhighlights/

My husband and I like to use the above site when comparing used cars. It can help you to choose the year least likely to have things go wrong and you can get an idea of what the repairs will cost. (Although my husband says the prices run pretty high compared to where we live.) It does give you an idea of the value you will get for your money though.

Hope this helps!

Edited to add: My husband works in the auto business and recommends against buying a first year vehicle. (Ex: 99 windstar) Being a new style, its more likely to have problems that get fixed in the coming years of that body style.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC