Is the Radian compatible with the Volvo XC90??

chickaboom909

I just purchased an '08 Volvo XC90 that I will be picking up later in the week and I'm looking for a new car seat for DS. Does anyone have experience with a Radian in this vehicle? I've heard there can be issues with installing some car seats in the XC90 due to the non-removeable headrests and I'm wondering if there would be any problem with a Radian?? TIA!

ADS

KD_Cooke

I have not yet given up, but I have been unsuccessful getting a solid FFing install of the Radian in the center seat -- I suspect due to the forward position of the belt and the fact that this seat does not compress much (because of the factory booster seat).

I am able to get the Radian installed in the outboard FFing position with LATCH. It takes a some patience to get the straps tight (pulling the loose end through one of the Radian's velcro access slots makes all the difference).

Regarding the headrest... I have tried the install two ways:

1. Place the top edge of the Radian just under the headrest and then slide the base towards the seat back. This will compress the Radian into the seat and allows for a fairly solid install.

2. Place the top edge of the Radian over the top edge of the headrest. When tightening the LATCH straps, use down and backward pressure to get the Radian seat back against the Volvo's seat.

After playing with both installs, I like #2 as it yields better use of the top tether. In install #1 above, the tether strap would bind on the seat, making it difficult to tighten the strap (in install #1, the adjusting top-tether buckle falls in an awkward angle).

I still have not given up on a center install, and plan to attempt again using some of the tips and tricks seen here.

bensmom243

I have an '07 XC90 (love it!) and a Radian FF behind the driver's seat. I have a rock solid install, using latch, with the seat just resting under the head rest. Honestly, I have not tried it in the center as I use the built-in booster for my older kids.

I have tried it RF as well, and it works but the seatback is tall and takes up quite a bit of room.

You are going to love the car, nice choice!

chickaboom909

Thank you both so much for your helpful replies! I'm going to go ahead and order the Radian today and I'll let you know how the install goes.
bensmom Thanks for the compliment...I can't wait to pick up the Volvo on Saturday! :D

chickaboom909

I just wanted to update my own post to say that I got a rock solid installation with the Radian forward facing on my passenger side in the 2nd row. I had it inspected and was told it's an excellent fit. :thumbsup: My son also seems very happy and comfortable in his Radian. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC