Items to hold head in place.

abemom2

I have the radian from CT. I had gotten the body cushion/ toddler pillow several months ago, and it holds my ds's head great. Otherwise his head is totally tilted to the side.

I then put it into my ds's scenera. I didn't drive like this, don't worry, but it did not touch the harness, and I didn't have to adjust anything, so why would it be unsafe to drive like this? I'm really not interested in towels all over my car to keep his head up, and it's also not that comfortable. He doesn't slide forward, only to the side, but it's a big gap from his body in the center to the wings on the side.
Thank you,
Anna

ADS

dd9736

I have a pillow, like I think you're talking about, DS' head would slump so bad when we first got the radian, and it looked so bad, I started out using a stuffed toy, that I would put next to his head after he fell asleep, then we found this pillow
P1000813.jpg

the toy you see on his lap there is what I had been using, but it would push his head forward, and I figured that was worse.
I used a recieving blanket on our new baby when we brought him home from the hospital, and the blanket interfered more than the head pillow

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
As long as it does not go between the child and the car seat it should be fine.

If there is material that goes behind the back it could compress in a collision causing the harness to fit looser. Leaving child at a higher risk of injury.

SOmething like is in post #2 would be fine for when child is asleep.

ryandnessasmom

I also have a question regarding this issue!

I have just purchased 2 Radian65's (CT $99 woohoo!). My baby is only 4 months, and I am finding her head flopping to one side or the other, and she's also not able to sleep very soundly. I tried a recieving blanket around her head. (Not behind at all). But I don't like the way it sits, and I can't see her obviously. It made me uneasy.

I emailed Sunshine Kids about their new product called "comfy soft". They said its use would not void the warranty of the Radian carseats... They also mentioned it was the EXACT product that is found in the Radian Premiers.

Do you think I could install this product into my Radians and they would be safe and secure and not interfere with the carseats abilities?

Essentially I would then be making my regular Radians - Radian Premiers???? Is that too good to be true?!:confused:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I wouldn't have any qualms about using the Comfy Soft with your Radian because you have the seat manufacturer's blessing to do so. :) As Sunshine Kids told you, the Comfy Soft is really the same thing that comes with the Radian80/Radian Premier model, and it's perfectly acceptable to use one with your Radian, provided it's used properly according to the manufacturer's instructions. :thumbsup:

BudgieStew

I have the Comfy Soft and use the toddler pillow with my regular Radian.
It is not as plush as the pillow that comes with the Premiere but it does the job. It fastens from the top of the seat and hangs over so it does not interfere with the use of the seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just agreeing with the others that the comfy soft is perfectly safe to use with the regular radian. I have one too. :)

One other thought I had, was to make sure that the seat is reclined enough. Sometimes if a seat is too upright it makes the head support issue worse - vehicles that have really sloped back seats will need to have the tether tightened further to get an adequate angle. :) (The radian carseats allow rf tethering. There are instructions in the manual and it comes with a d-ring (length of seat belt material with a metal loop on one end,) that's packaged in with the rf'ing boot.)

abemom2

What I have is the toddler pillow. My ds is 3. What goes behind the head is a very thin piece of material that's in between the 2 cushions.

My question is regarding using it in the Scenera not in the Radian. (It doesn't touch the harness...)

The seat was very reclined.

I once noticed a post with some kind of full body cushion from aroud the sides in blue or pink. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thank you.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
You do not want anything between the child and tha car seat unless it came with the seat. I would not use anything such as a pillow behind thier head either. It does not allow the childs haed to lay flat against the seat the way it should. It is fine to put something around thier head for support like a rolled recieving blanket or the dog pictured in the earlier post becasue they do not interfere with the harness and they are not between the child and tha car seat. Aftermarket products (anything that did not come with your seat) have not been tested despite what they may say. No one can know what will happen in a accident since it has not been tested with your seat. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC