Female receptacle of seatbelt too tall; can't tighten boostr

R

rambrose

Female receptacle of seatbelt too tall; can't tighten boostr

I have an Olds Silhouette and three kids in seats. I'd like to place my oldest daughter and her FP "Grow With Me" booster in the rear bench center. The female receptacle (the bench-mounted portion of the mechanism) stands up about 5 or 6 inches from the bench, I guess to make it easier for adults using that seating position to buckle their belts.

Unfortunately, that's approximately the same height as the belt path on the back of the booster seat. So, when the belt is passed through the booster's belt path and buckled into the bench receptacle, and I try to tighten, the buckle housing on the male or clip portion jams against the booster at the belt path preventing me from getting it tight enough. I've gone about measuring other models and found that the height of the beltpath is often similar.

Any ideas? Note the much vaunted "mighty-tite" (saw some spam-looking posts earlier) won't help. Has anyone seen an extension-type clip/strap that has a strap fold-sewn onto a clip? (I.e., no bulky housing at the male portion of the clip.) I was thinking something like that could clip into the bench receptacle and be narrow enough of itself to fit into the beltpath.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the length and if this has been posted before. I did scan all to try to avoid repeat of prior question.

Rob Ambrose

ADS
R

Robert

Re: Female receptacle of seatbelt too tall; can't tighten bo

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like a problem I've handle before. With the buckle (female end) sticking out 5-6 inches from the seat bight it would be difficult to install a seat. What I've done for a parent is shorten the belt with a "belt shortening" clip which solve that problem.
It would be best to contact a fitting station or local technician in your area for assistance (see the "free car seat inspection" link at the top for a contact).

R

rambrose

thanks

Robert, thank you for the reply. Not sure it'll work, but I will seek out a technician to get a better opinion than mine.
Of the 5-6 inches, approximately 2.5 is receptacle housing and about 3 or so of strap. Unfortunately, it's a doubled strap which is only of normal width at the housing and then tapers/narrows (or is gathered) towards the bight.

C

Caviller

Re: Female receptacle of seatbelt too tall; can't tighten bo

This is definitely a good candidate for a visit to a local technician. If you have any trouble finding one in your area, please also consult our resources in the "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the top banner, or:

www.seatcheck.net

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC