graco stroller with inadequate harness system

newDad

Hello All,

I have a graco stroller which is very sturdy and comfortable for my 15 month old toddler. However, one thing that I can't understand is why they would only install a half harness that goes under and around baby's waist.

When she is sitting up or leaning forward a bit, simply strolling over the sidewalks causes her to whiplash back and forth. Hitting any ruts in the walkway also cause this.

We have another cheaper stroller that has a full harness, like a car seat...and it's much better.

Why in the world would they not included this?

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Any suggestions as to add-ons that might be found for this situation?

Thanks,
newDad

ADS

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
Hello All,

I have a graco stroller which is very sturdy and comfortable for my 15 month old toddler. However, one thing that I can't understand is why they would only install a half harness that goes under and around baby's waist.

When she is sitting up or leaning forward a bit, simply strolling over the sidewalks causes her to whiplash back and forth. Hitting any ruts in the walkway also cause this.

Which Graco stroller is it? My understanding is that all Graco strollers now come with 5 pt harnesses. Perhaps yours is just old enough, before they started putting 5 pts on all of them. I hear you though...My now 18 year old used to try and grab the wheels while I was pushing him (no trays or bars on the strollers I had back then either) I remember being so excited to see a stroller with a 5 pt harness on it. I'm amazed that it takes companies so long to GET IT. It boggles my mind to think that only 1.5 years ago, a 5 point harness was not standard on strollers made by Graco. I know that all of the travel system strollers at BRU have 5 pt harnesses on them....but there's still a few cheapo umbrella strollers with just a 3 point. It's very irritating, especially to think what it's going to take for all stroller mfgs to understand that a 5pt harness should be standard equipment.

Interestingly enough, a Maclaren rep told me that they will never put a bar or tray on any of their strollers because they feel that parents use trays as a safety device (instead of using the restraint). Kids try to climb under or over them...I see unbuckled kids in strollers with trays trying to climb out frequently...that tray really IS a false sense of security. The Mac rep also told me that Peg Perego executives really regret the day they succumbed to pressure to put trays on their strollers. They truly wish they had not. We discussed trays on strollers in great detail and he pointed out that there are no trays on strollers in European countries...but they probably don't feed their kids cheerios and gold fish to passify them all day long either....

So I'm no help, just wanted to say I hear ya and it's a pet peeve of mine too!!

R.

newDad

Which Graco stroller is it? My understanding is that all Graco strollers now come with 5 pt harnesses. Perhaps yours is just old enough, before they started putting 5 pts on all of them. I

It boggles my mind to think that only 1.5 years ago, a 5 point harness was not standard on strollers made by Graco. I know that all of the travel system strollers at BRU have 5 pt harnesses on them....but there's still a few cheapo umbrella strollers with just a 3 point. It's very irritating, especially to think what it's going to take for all stroller mfgs to understand that a 5pt harness should be standard equipment.

So I'm no help, just wanted to say I hear ya and it's a pet peeve of mine too!!

R.

Hi NHCPSTECH,

Yes, it seems that way. We bought our Graco stroller about 1.5 years ago, before baby was born. She is now 15 months old and sits up in her stroller. I didn't notice it earlier, because she would either be in her carrier which sits in the stroller or lying down sleeping in the stroller in a lying down position.

During the summer months we took her for walks in the cheaper stroller with a 5 pt harness, and I didn't notice it. Then one day we took her in the Graco stroller and I was shocked. I was thinking what on earth was Graco thinking.

So now I am going to write to Graco and vent a little bit. It's just plain ridiculous.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that about the crappy, inadequate harness in the Graco strollers.

cheers,
newDad

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Do you know which model it is? My Graco MetroLite has an optional 5-point harness, so there are shoulder straps that are somewhat hidden and you can attach them to the buckle or leave them off.

newDad

Do you know which model it is? My Graco MetroLite has an optional 5-point harness, so there are shoulder straps that are somewhat hidden and you can attach them to the buckle or leave them off.

Not sure, I'll have a look at home. I bought it at Toys-R-US.

If there is an optional shoulder harness, I will get one. It's absolutely silly to think that a baby cannot get injured while riding in a stroller. If I noticed the inadequacies of our Graco stroller, I wonder what other parent's thought of when their baby hurt themselves when going over a bump in the stroller.

newDad :doh:

Lea_Ontario

I don't know the reasoning behind only having the 3-point harness, but I will say that both the strollers that I have that have 5-point harnesses, the harness is SO loose (at it's tightest setting) that it's really useless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC