Need help with my Death Trap

harvestmoon6

We have spent the last 3 years traveling the US and Mexico and I don't remember press about our vehicle when we purchased it or I never would have. Now I'm afraid to drive it, but since we're in Mexico I really don't have many options. We have a Ford 2002 E350 PSD (diesel) 15 passenger van that we use to haul our travel trailer on the roads of Mexico and the US. This winter we'll be in Guatemala, Honduras and Belize. We rarely go faster than 80kph (50mph) when towing - both in the US and Mexico and always travel the backroads of the US (and almost never the interstate highways). We take it slow. Last night I found out about the rolling and lack of roll cage problems while searching for an aftermarket vendor of headrests (for the back bench, where the boys sit). We're considering replacing the rear axle with duallies but might not find a Mexican mechanic to do the job. The boys have been in Britax SE's forever and we're looking to move them to the bench seat + the 86Y harness (even though we have shoulder belts - just to keep them in there better) and adding a headrest (if possible).

Does anyone have any updated info on the 15pass vans, safety wise? Is there any option other than the duallies to limit the rollability? Any ideas to keep the kids (boys plus two girls in Huskies) as safe as possible?

Lastly, one of the options we're looking at when we get back to the US is to replace the van with something else. Unfortunately, we got the van due to its powerful towing capability and the fact that with 4 kids, we thought a truck (one kid in the front seat and 3 in the back in an extended cab) would be less safe than what is now our Death Trap. What do you think? We could rid ourselves of the van and get a truck but we'd have either a 6yo, 8yo, 11yo or 13yo in the front of the truck.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hey, our kids are almost the same ages! (Mine are 13, 11, 9, & 7) I can totally understand the seating issues in vehicles when you've got four kids, though we've never had a situation exactly like yours.

I would still consider a truck, though. My 7 yo is a teeny little thing, so I could theoretically put her in a Radian in the middle front seat. Seating 3-across in trucks isn't really the most comfortable solution, though.

What about the Astro van? We've got a '97, and I'm really not sure about the towing capacities on it, but I seem to recall that they had different models that could manage more heavy-duty travel needs. It doesn't have the best safety ratings, either, but it might be worth considering?

BTW, we're using 86Y's with lap/shoulder belts and we really like them. A locking clip is required, but it hasn't really affected usability. I think you'll like them! :)

harvestmoon6

Wow! That's pretty neat. :)

Can you give me some help choosing what I need for the 86Y? The boys have outgrown their SE's and I have no idea what I need for the 86Y. The seatbelts in the van are the kind that when you pull them all the way out will lock into place wherever you stop on the way back and you can't pull them out more until the belt has been completely retracted. (does that make sense?)

Thanks in advance!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
No problem!

Since your boys are over 65 lbs, a booster is not required, so that's easy. You may choose to use one if you get a better fit, but based on our use & the way my 13 yo fits, I doubt you'll find that necessary.

The big thing is going to be the tether anchors. Once the child's weight exceeds the limit of the tether anchor, you have to install the heavy-duty tether anchors included with the 86Y. (I seem to recall that your boys are both over 80 lbs, which means they've exceeded the limits of all factory-installed TAs.) This shouldn't be as daunting as it sounds; you'll need to find a flat piece of metal on the van's body (the floor is usually most convenient but you can use the roof). Then you just insure that you can access the back side of that piece of metal without hitting anything like the fuel tank, and follow the instructions. It's pretty basic, and the 86Y comes with instructions on how to install it. Plus, their customer service is awesome, so if you have questions you can call them.

Once you've got the heavy-duty TAs in, it's simple. You hook the back of the 86Y to the TA, then thread the seat belt through the loops on the bottom of the 86Y harness. Since you're using lap/shoulder belts, you'll need to get locking clips. Once you've adjusting the seat belt snugly, you put the locking clip in place within an inch of the latchplate, and you're set. Locking the seat belt by pulling the retractor isn't necessary, and would probably just make it get in their way. Everything can stay in place as the boys get in & out - they can either leave the seat belt threaded and slip out under the harness, or slide the belt out of the loops and just re-thread it when they get back in. Either way, the locking clip stays in place.

Hope that helps! I've got lots of pics of the harness in use in my photo album here

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC