So, how do you decide?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My husband and I are trying to reduce our car payments when we return to the US. We looked at trading in the Pilot for a Sienna, but the version that has the features we want (especially the 8 passenger version), is so expensive that it would actually raise our payments. It's a great vehicle - has all the features we want and more - but it really doesn't make sense to get something that expensive when we'll be taking a pay cut in June.

This leaves us looking at cars. I've already narrowed it down to the safest models of the ones available to us:
  • Audi A4
  • Ford Taurus
  • Honda Accord
  • Toyota Camry
  • Volkswagen Passat

From there, things get sticky. For example, the Camry looks like a better choice than the Accord, but I can only get the LE (plus Anti lock brakes & Front side impact and head curtain airbag as options). The Accord is available in 6 different versions! As far as I can tell, rear curtain airbags aren't options on any of those models, however. The Audi is a lot more expensive, but the rear airbags are available.

The Taurus is much less expensive ($4000 rebate), but Ford doesn't have the reputation for reliability that some of these other companies have.

It just seems like there are soooo many factors to compare. Heck, at this point, I don't even know if all my kids' car seats will fit in the back seat of any of these vehicles! If the Sienna had been an option 18 months ago, we'd have gotten that originally, but at the time, the only vehicle that would meet our needs was the Pilot. I never really LIKED the Pilot (it's uncomfortable!), and I really don't want to settle for "ok" again. So, what factors do you consider when looking at a vehicle? What features will make-it-or-break-it for you? How do you weigh price versus features?

Can't someone just do all the work for me? I'll show you what my options are, and you can go through and do all the research, and then come back and tell me what the pros and cons are for each vehicle, and then evaluate what the best choices are for my family, so all I have to do is test drive them and choose one. OK? ;)

ADS

groovymom2000

Wow, you have 3 in seats, don't you?

The A4 is small--I don't think you'd get 3 back there. When I looked at them a year or so ago, that seat looked too small for two! ;) I think you're going to have to look at actually trying the seat combos in any of those cars--and no Husky's! The Accord might work, though.
Gotta run-squirmy baby on my lap. Good luck!
Beth

UlrikeDG

I thought the A4 was quite small as well, but on paper, it's not THAT much smaller than the others (the Taurus is only 3.5" wider overall). Hip room in the A4 is unlisted, which makes it harder to compare. I'm hoping to go look at the Accord, Camry, Passat & A4 on Thursday. Obviously, if we don't all fit in the A4, that rules it out right off the bat. But, what if we do all fit? The A4 looks like a safer vehicle, so how do you weigh the higher cost and smaller trunk & smaller back seat against the safety issue?

For reference (numbers are from Edmunds.com):

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" border="1" style="text-align: left; width: 100%;"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Ford Taurus<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Toyota Camry<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Honda Accord<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Volkswagen Passat<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Audi A4<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Length<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">197.6"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">189.2"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">189.5"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">185.2"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">179"<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Width<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">73"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">70.7"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">71.5"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">68.7"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">69.5"<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Rear Hip Room<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">"Being Researched"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">54.1"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">53.5"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">"Not Published"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">"Not Published"<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Rear Shoulder Room<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">56.6"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">56.7"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">56.1"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">54.6"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">53.4"<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">Rear Leg Room<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">38.9"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">37.8"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">36.8"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">35.3"<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">34.3"<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;"> Maximum Luggage<br>Capacity<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">17 cubic feet<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">16.7 cubic feet<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">14 cubic feet<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">15 cubic feet<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">13.4 cubic feet<br> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

sirrahn

Well, I had a rfing RA, ffing MA and SR/C across the back of a Passat and they fit. You could possibly squeeze another RA or MA in there in place of the booster, but I think it would be *really* tight. It should have side curtain airbags though. At least they're a standard feature on all models in the US.

Have you gotten any trade evaluations on your Pilot? I'd think it's new enough that you're going to have to take a hit on trading it too. Anyway you could hang onto it a while longer and wait until after you get back to the US to get a Sienna or even Ody? You can get the safety features here without paying for quite so many extras.

I really thought I'd be perfectly happy with my car and 3 kids, but after a while it just really wasn't terribly practical...for us at least.

GL

tracyb

Ulrike, do you have access to any of those models right now? If so, you could haul your carseat collection down to the lot and try them out.

Of the models you've listed, the only ones I'd pursue are the Accord and the Camry. The others are less reliable. And Honda is allegedly adding side curtain airbags to all models by 2006, so there's a very good chance the '06 Accord will have them, if you can wait that long.

There's also the possibility of a used Sienna - if you can wait until the '06 models come out, more people will have traded their '05s.

UlrikeDG

sirrahn said:
Well, I had a rfing RA, ffing MA and SR/C across the back of a Passat and they fit. You could possibly squeeze another RA or MA in there in place of the booster, but I think it would be *really* tight. It should have side curtain airbags though. At least they're a standard feature on all models in the US.
That's good to know. Thanks!
Have you gotten any trade evaluations on your Pilot? I'd think it's new enough that you're going to have to take a hit on trading it too.
The dealership that sells Audi, Honda, Toyota and VW gave me a quote a little over a week ago. They'll pay about what we owe on it.
I really thought I'd be perfectly happy with my car and 3 kids, but after a while it just really wasn't terribly practical...for us at least.
Yes, that's one of my concerns.

UlrikeDG

Originally posted by tracyb
Ulrike, do you have access to any of those models right now? If so, you could haul your carseat collection down to the lot and try them out.
If the weather clears up, I'll do it Thursday. The local sr tech works at the dealer that has 4 of the 5 models, and I already asked if she'd help me. ;)
Of the models you've listed, the only ones I'd pursue are the Accord and the Camry. The others are less reliable.
Where do you find out about reliability? The only place I know about is Consumer Reports, and frankly, I don't trust them. I've seen how inaccurate they are on car seats, vacuums and air purifiers.
And Honda is allegedly adding side curtain airbags to all models by 2006, so there's a very good chance the '06 Accord will have them, if you can wait that long.
When to the '06s come out? We leave here June 1.

Thanks, ladies!

tracyb

UlrikeDG said:
Where do you find out about reliability? The only place I know about is Consumer Reports, and frankly, I don't trust them. I've seen how inaccurate they are on car seats, vacuums and air purifiers.

Yeah, I'll give you that. :D But their auto reliability results are different, because they're not as subjective. They actually survey all of their subscribers and tally the results. So it's not just "we think this car's transmission isn't very good," it's more like "out of all the Windstar owners we surveyed, 50% had transmission problems." It's still not perfect, because it's not completely random (i. e., the owners with complaints are probably more likely to fill out their surveys), but I think it's useful when taken with info from other sources, like Edmunds, J.D. Powers, and the like. If they all tend to say the same things about a vehicle, it's something to worry about.

When to the '06s come out? We leave here June 1.
I think they start coming out in August/September. But according to the Honda site, the Accord already has side curtain airbags, so you wouldn't need to wait for the '06 after all (though you could proably get a great deal on an '05 when the '06 starts rolling in). I wouldn't be surprised if they have 0% financing in late summer/early fall.

dvmroth

Good Luck---I hate the whole trade-in buy a new car thing. While the toyota and honda have fantastic reliablity/low repair reputations. My friend has three kids, who all fit comfortably in the back of her Taurus (in car seats) a HUGE trunk for all their stuff and she has like 160,000 miles and only had problems about 30,000 miles ago. She replaced the transmission (? but I don't think that's it--it was a $600 repair) and brakes and is good to go. They were looking at a 4runner but she decided to stick with her car and run it into the ground. Of course that's not to say that there wouldn't be 10 people who say they all have trouble with the taurus--but I thought you might like to hear one case where it worked out well.

sirrahn

Just to comment on the reliability issue....We have had several minor issues with our Passat....radio has blown a fuse a couple of times (they showed DH how to fix that himself though), a couple of engine related computer malfunctions and a couple of recalls early on and probably a couple of other things I can't remember at the moment, but at least our local VW dealer is really wonderful....very friendly and fairly priced, nice cushy waiting area, free drinks, play area for the kids etc. Heck, I kind of *like* going up there:D

I think Darren has made a similar comment about CR and auto reliablity before, but IMO if you look at those numbers, they're really quite close for the most part when it comes to new cars. Although Honda and Toyota are certainly overall leaders, I don't know that there's really a huge enough difference to completely discount other cars based on that alone.

The dealership that sells Audi, Honda, Toyota and VW gave me a quote a little over a week ago. They'll pay about what we owe on it.

That's good! We managed to get quite close to what we owed on our '01 Saturn too, but a couple of dealerships really tried to low-ball us. Honestly I think a lot of that was Toyota snobbishness though;-)

GL deciding what to do!

groovymom2000

Ulrike-I've been thinking about this all day!

And now I finally have 2 hands free to type. I think you've gotten some great advice--is used an option for you? My 2 cents--I looked at sedans when I was pg with Ian, and after sitting down and really looking at how I used my car I decided that I needed something else. Do you have any pets? Do you want any large dogs? ;) Are the kiddos going to drive you nuts that close together?(they may already be close--not sure how you've configured them) Safety is very good, but not at the expense of a car that has a lifespan of its warranty--unless you like to get a new car every few years, which in that case you might want to consider leasing. I think it's kind of like car seats in that you have to get what fits, what you can afford, and what you'll use "properly" -LOL that you'll be able to handle the maintenance on etc. After that you have to secure your kiddos in the most safe manner, drive as safely as you can and hope for the best.
Seriously look at the trunk space--and I'm serious about the big sloppy dog--they can't go in the trunk! And that truly was a deciding factor for us....I hope you find what you want--there are some great deals on used cars these days since so many people lease--that might be an option!
Keep us posted on what you do get!
Beth~mom to Elliot (12/00) and Ian (05/04)

tracyb

If a dog is involved, what about a station wagon? The Accord station wagon isn't sold in the U.S., but perhaps you could snag one while you're in Europe.

groovymom2000

So that's why I couldn't find one...

LOL-my DH swore up and down that there was an Accord wagon, but of course, there wasn't. We do see them around though.

UlrikeDG

Hubby has suggested another wagon (we had a Saturn SW2 until November). However, I don't like them. Hubby is really, really bad about not securing loose items in the back, and I'm sooo tired of fighting with him about it.

About the Accord, we can't import a vehicle that doesn't meet US specs. I bet the reason groovymom2000's husband knew about the new ones is that Honda UK released a really neat commercial for the Accord Wagon a year or two ago, and it circulated on the internet for several months. It's been dubbed "the coolest commercial ever made." http://currawong.net/article.php/20040807001631987

UlrikeDG

Thanks, everyone. I've spoken to hubby, and I think our current plan is going to be to wait until we get back to the US, then sell the Pilot and get a large sedan to use until the 2006 Sienna's come out. Then we'll try to get a used 8-passenger Sienna as well.

mamamia

Ulrike-something to consider-at least in New England the 2003 Siennas were about $2500 more than the 04's, and the 05 sticker prices are down yet another $2000 so you might want to look at prices once you move back the US. You may be pleasantly suprised at what you might find.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC