Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

HBB for a Big Kid HELP

My son is turning 7yrs in January and he's a big kid - 54" and 72lbs last month at the doctor's office. He has a super long torso, wears a size 10 or 12 shirt. We currently have him harnessed in a Frontier in our primary vehicle and riding in a Parkway and Diono Cambria in our backup vehicles. He is outgrowing the harness on the Frontier and while I realize he could use it as a booster I would like to pass it down to his younger sibling and get a new dedicated HBB for him. I'm out of the loop when it comes to the latest and greatest. What are some deep, wide, tall HBB that latch? He does not like the Cambria - says the seatbelt locks too often when trying to buckle, though I'm not sure if that's an issue with the vehicle or the booster being too wide...? He says he likes the Parkway although I feel like the seat is shallow for him as it hits several inches back from his knee.

The vehicle is a 2013 Ford F150 and we have had issues with headrest interference so I would like something that can be used without the vehicle headrest in place.

I have no budget in mind, although I think DH would groan if I spent more than $150 on a seat that likely will be outgrown in 3-4 years.
    Allie, Mom to
    DS (1.6.2012) riding in a Frontier
    DD (2.2.2014) riding in a 4Ever & Boulevard

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: HBB for a Big Kid HELP

Hmm, my go-to suggestion for larger kids is usually the Diono Monterey XT as it is the deepest and widest, but if he finds the Cambria difficult to buckle, the Monterey will be the same and it also requires the vehicle head restraint in place.

The Britax Highpoint and Midpoint could work alright and are plenty tall, but they don’t convert to a backless and they have the same shallow seat pan as the Parkway.

There is a surprising lack of highback options for larger kids.

I think the seats you have are already 2 of the better options.

Have you considered doing a backless booster for the truck? The Chicco GoFit is nice for bigger kids but doesn’t have lower anchor attachments. If you want one that has them, the Clek Olli is my 9yo’s favorite booster ever. The Peg Perego Shuttle is also a nice option.

4. Thank You from:

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Here's a list of LATCHable boosters: https://carseatblog.com/45879/belt-p...rs-with-latch/. The Chicco KidFit has a little deeper seat pan, but otherwise, all of the boosters will be about the same in that area: https://carseatblog.com/compare/high-back-boosters/.

Carseat Crazy

Thank you both. Is the Recaro Performance Booster still a thing? I haven't been able to find a retailer selling it.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AllieK View Post
    Thank you both. Is the Recaro Performance Booster still a thing? I haven't been able to find a retailer selling it.
    Unfortunately, Recaro has gotten out of the child seat business. You may be able to find a new seat if you search around. We really liked the Performance Booster too - we used one for my middle kid for a couple years and now my 9YO uses it.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Technician

The Recaro boosters have all been gone for over a year now.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aporthole View Post
    The Recaro boosters have all been gone for over a year now.
    Thanks for the update. I should have guessed that they’d all been found and snapped up!
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.