Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Seating of 4 children in car seats/boosters in Dodge grand caravan

Hi
    I am trying to find the best seating arrangement for 5 children in a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. We are in Canada. I would like to fit 3 seats in the 3rd row if safe to do so. My children are 13 no car seat required, 5.5 yrs (tall and approx. 53 lbs), 3 turning 4 in March(tall and approx 40-45 lbs), 2yrs (tall and approx 35 lbs) and 4 months (tall and approximately 16-17lbs). We have 2 evenflo maestros purchased at different times not sure if they are the same, an older safety 1st alpha omega and the baby is in a Graco snugride click connect 35. With the 2 maestros in the back there is basically no room for a 3rd person. We are considering purchasing the Diono brand seats to try get 3 in the 3rd row but unsure cause there is only 1 latch back there. Can you suggest seats and seating arrangement please?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Seating of 4 children in car seats/boosters in Dodge grand caravan

Hi and welcome!

Youíre legally required to tether harnessed forward facing seats, so you canít put 2 Maestros back there.

To make it work, I think youíll need the 13 year old in the center 3rd row. Then you need some combination of the 5.5 year old, the 2 year old, and the infant in the outboard seats. The only car seat you have listed that might work is the Snugride. You could try it both with the base and baseless. Watch for side overhang, which is not allowed.

If that doesnít work, youíll need 2 new car seats; if it does, you can get away with just one new one.

For the 5 year old, I would get an Evenflo Amp. Itís a belt positioning high back booster, so no tether required. That particular booster works well with the outboard seat belts in the 3rd row, while most others donít.

For the 2 year old (and in the future, the baby, if this is a long term thing) Iíd get a Cosco Scenera NEXT to use rear facingóagain, no tether anchor needed. It has to be installed very upright to fit behind the captainís chair in front of it, which is allowed for children who can sit independently, so presumably not the baby yet.

Then the 3 year old and whichever other kid isnít in the back go in captainís chairs in whatever car seats you prefer for them. (The captainís chairs are pretty easy to install car seats in.)