Buckling a Preschooler

U

Unregistered

I've got four and a half year old twin boys. They travel in Britax Pinnacle harness to booster seats. When getting into the vehicle I usually buckle them in and tighten their straps. Upon leaving the vehicle I always loosen and unbuckle their straps. I have felt (assumed) that me buckling and tightening every time, as opposed to them buckling themselves, is the safest. I've noticed that some parents will leave the straps in the tightened position upon leaving the vehicle and then when it's time to get back in, they will allow the preschooler to buckle himself into his seat (no tightening because the straps were never loosened). Allowing my kids to buckle themselves had never crossed my mind. What is best and safest for my kiddos?

ADS

lgenne

As long as they end up correctly buckled, it doesn't really matter. I've never had a kid who was able to buckle himself at that age with a tight enough harness, though.

But my 5 year old (who really wanted to buckle himself and struggled with the buckle for a long time) figured out how to buckle himself a few months ago: he buckles before he puts his arms through the harness. Then he slips his arms through and buckles his chest clip. He's still not strong enough to buckle with straps in position and tight, but he gets himself buckled perfectly almost every time. Occasionally a strap will be twisted, so I still have to check.

aeormsby

My kids would buckle themselves at that age, with the straps loosened and then I just had to tighten them. I think they could loosen the straps and unbuckle themselves by that age (although the crotch buckle wasn't always as easy to unbuckle). DD was pretty good at tightening the straps too, she would grab the end of the strap and use her foot in the 'loop' center of the strap to leverage the strap tight.

I agree with PP's statement - as long as they're buckled correctly in the end, it doesn't matter how it happens.

Beloved

My 2 oldest could buckle by 4 with the harness left tightened. I would check to make sure it wasn't twisted. Neither can unbuckle while in the seat. My son unbuckles my daughter now that he is in a booster and can do his own seat belt.

rachelandtyke

My 4yo buckles herself. She is able to loosen the harness if it is too tight for her to buckle herself and then tightens it when she is done. She knows to ask for help if the strap gets twisted. I double check when she is done (as do the older siblings that ride in the back with her). She can undo the chest clip, but not the crotch buckle to undo it. Her siblings usually do that for her.

NVMBR02

Somewhere between preschool and Kindergarten my kids all figured out how to buckle themselves in without loosening the straps. I just did a quick check to make sure they were buckled, straps tight enough and the chest clip was in the correct position. They all figured out the buckling before the unbuckling.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC