Safety 1st Grow N Go EX Air 3-in-1 vs. Graco Extend2Fit

Loony

Hi, I'm looking for opinions on the Safety 1st Grow N Go EX Air 3-in-1 and Graco Extend2Fit.

Here are my considerations...

The seat is for my son (4 years, 8 mo; 43.25 in., 45 lbs) who has reached the RF weight limit for his current seats (Diono RXT and Clek Fllo) and is pushing the height limits, I believe. I want to keep him rear facing for as long as possible and it seems like these two seats, above, are the best bet (other than importing a seat, or spending $450 for the Nuna Rava). Is that true? Are there others I should consider?

I don't think either of these two I'm considering is steel reinforced (I'm used to the steel reinforcement with his current seats). Does that matter?

Does anyone know of any seats on the horizon for the US market that will RF beyond 50 lbs? I've tried to project out on height and weight on the growth charts. Based on his current percentiles (90th for weight, 75th for height) he will hit the 50 lb weight limit before the 49" height limit on these seats, and the chart projects he will reach the 50 lb mark by about Sept (5 years, 3 months). (seems crazy he could gain 5 lbs in 7 months?!) If this is true, then whichever of these seats I buy is only going to be useable RF for 7 months. However, I am committed to keeping him RF as long as possible.

Neither of these seats offers RF tethering or anti-rebound protection, and I wish I could find one that does. Am I correct that there are not any options to fit my needs with these added safety features?

How do these compare on the install? I have a hard time with seatbelt install with the Diono. The seat will be primarily in an Audi S6 wagon or our nanny's car (currently a Chevy Cobalt, but she is considering buying a mini van). Also, sometimes in my husband's car, a 2005 Jaguar XJ8.

I haven't even considered the FF capabilities of either the seats we own (in addition to the Diono and Fllo we also have a Britax Advocate Click-tight that my 2 yo daughter uses) or the Safety 1st and Graco I'm considering here. So, if there is advice that takes that into consideration, thinking longer term, I'm all ears as well.

Basically, I'm looking for any advice or suggestions anyone has to offer on any of this. Thank you in advance!! :)

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I believe the Graco E2F is much taller, so I would go with that option. Also, if you will use it with the panel out, there may be enough room for your child to sit cross-legged. That is how my friend's son sat at the limits of the seat. You can always pass the seat down to your younger child too.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The factor you haven't mentioned is that both of these seats (all seats, actually) have both a stated max height/weight limits AND a criteria for rear-facing about where the top of the head can be. Depending on how tall your child's torso is, it's possible he's met or exceeded this criteria already.

For the E2F, the top of his head must be 1" or more below the handle of the headrest (in top position). Once it's less than 1", it's outgrown.

For the EX Air, the top of his head must be fully contained within the headrest. If it's not, it's outgrown.

(For FF for these two seats, the E2F will last longer by height. It's has a top harness position of 18" compared to the EX Air of 16'5".)

Have you tried your son in either one?

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the replies! :)

CTPDMom, I understand about the ultimate determinant of height limit - you're right that I need to check that on his current seats. Need to do that when I get home tonight!

MelodyoftheForest, you mentioned that the E2F is much taller, I'm wondering if it will really last longer RF or if the extra height is because of the different limit on where the head should be (e.g. as CTPDMom said, head has to be 1 in. below on E2F vs. just inside for Safety 1st). Obviously, another factor is whether my kid has a long torso or not - I'm not sure.

I haven't tried him in either seat yet, wanted to also see if there were others to consider or other factors that might rule either out, before I take the step of ordering to test.

Any other comments/advice/suggestions welcome. Thank you!!! :)

CTPDMom

The E2F is likely to last longer overall.

But also know, it's a totally justifiable decision to turn your 4.5 yo FF'ing and not purchase another seat. It's fine if you choose to, of course. But I don't want anyone else reading to think it's not ok to do that. All of the injury prevention/child passenger safety groups ask us to educate parents to wait until at least age 2, some longer, but all say 'as long as possible'. If you've maxed him out in his current convertible, you've done great and we all applaud you! No one expects parents to purchase a second convertible for a child over 4 to RF longer. (Though, again, it's totally your prerogative if you choose to.)

MelodyoftheForest

I put my friend's 49" 50lb son in her E2F. He also has a long torso, and he had plenty of room over his head and at least one click of height left in the harness. I will try to find the thread with pictures and link it here.

Loony

Thanks, guys! :) Yeah, I know it's allowed for me to turn him FF, I'm just super safety-crazed and want to keep him RF for *literally* "as long as possible". Amazingly, these two seats which allow RF for longer, are relatively reasonably priced (compared with the range of what's out there!) so for me, personally, it is a clear choice although I agree, I don't want others reading this to think they have to make the same choice.

That's great about the 49" 50-pounder fitting well into E2F. Thank you for that info!

I've ordered both from Amazon to test with my son and our cars. I will report back on the final choice, and any other questions. Thank you!!!!

Loony

Reporting back....we have received both seats. My son has sat in both and the E2F indeed seems to have much more room height-wise. He looks like he's almost at the limits of the Safety 1st already, even though he's not even quite 44" tall (perhaps he has a long torso). I still need to test the install in our car, but as of now it seems that E2F, as you guys predicted, is the better bet.

One thing that's nagging at me, though, with both seats - neither is steel-reinforced (or any other metal). All plastic. All of our other seats have metal involved. Should I be concerned about this????? I'm not used to such a light weight seat all made of plastic. It doesn't feel as safe!!

CTPDMom

The reality is, we just don't know if one is safer than the other in terms of materials used. Seats are required to meet or exceed government standards, period. So all seats on the market are safe.

We use 'as long as possible' as shorthand for 'until child reaches the max height or weight limits of their convertible seat'. We can theorize that RF is safER, but we just don't have the data to back that up. I can tell you either choice is safe. Kids buckled up, even to minimums, are very safe.

In the end, this is a decision only you can make.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC