Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Accident and replacing

I was in accident where someone fell asleep and came over onto my car almost perfectly parallel. It was not a big jolt but I do have a dent and scraping and $1600 worth of damage. Clek says replace, Britax says minor accident ok and it does meet the criteria of minor. Would you still want to replace the Britax or be fine with keeping it?
    Last edited by Hazelandlucy; 09-20-2016 at 07:59 AM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Accident and replacing

We kept our Britax seats in a similar accident and had no concerns about doing so. Our insurance did offer to replace the one that was occupied during the accident, though, which is state law where we live.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by oakster View Post
    We kept our Britax seats in a similar accident and had no concerns about doing so. Our insurance did offer to replace the one that was occupied during the accident, though, which is state law where we live.
    My state says the same thing, I had no idea until I checked after your post!

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oakster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazelandlucy View Post
    My state says the same thing, I had no idea until I checked after your post!
    Are you guys in states other than Illinois or California? Those are the only two states I know that have regulations about replacement, but we keep track of stuff like that, so if other states do, too, please let me know!

6. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Yep, we're in California.

If insurance will replace, I would do that for my own peace of mind.

Carseat Crazy

Yes, if the other insurance is paying anyway, you might as well replace it. We didn't for ours since it was an at-fault accident so we were trying to keep the total lower (and neither we nor Britax thought the seats needed to be replaced). Though ironically we ended up getting the non-occupied seat replaced anyway after the repair shop broke it trying to take it out before we got there to do it at the prearranged time... (Sadly that seat was a year-old Frontier, while the occupied seat was a four-year-old Marathon G3 that I would have loved an excuse to replace!)