3 across in 07 passat

I

Ina

We have two children right now ages almost three and almost five. We're expecting another baby early march and we have a bit of a carseat dilemma. We own a 2007 passat stationwagon which we're very happy with. I wouldn't mind trading up to a minivan to have more space but my husband just hates the idea and I can understand that. For my oldest daughter we have a britax regent. It's huge! I ordrered it online while back and I had no idea how big it was...It's supposed to be quite safe but because of its size it just seems a misfit for our car. My younger daughter is in convertable britax marathon. Both girls are forward facing. We recently tried to install the graco snugride we aleardy own to test it for the baby and needless to say....there's is now way that configuration will fit!
I've been researching various options and I have the feeling we will have to get at least one radian which seems to be both safe and narrow. Does anyone please have any suggestions?! Also, should my three year old still be rear facing? I've been reading how much safer it is nad I am starting to feel like I turned her seat around too soon....yes, I was one of those anxious ones who thought forward facing was a milestone to be achieved as soon as possible! Well I have certainly educated myself for the better over the last few years so there's still hope:)
At any rate, please let me know what yoy think. Any suggestions would be grealty appreciated!

ADS

sixboys

How much does your three year old weigh? If she is a tiny peanut, and tolerates being turned back to RF, I would give it a try. (I also turned my children FF at one year, until I learned better, so I know how you feel!)

Currenly, my small 3 year old is FF. I tried to turn him back to RF in his Britax Boulevard, but he threw a fit. I decided he was safer sitting properly in a FF position than twisting and pushing against the seat back in the RF position. Most CPSTs are comfortable with 3 year olds sitting FF, so that decision is really up to you and essentially your DD. If I could have had my 3 year old RF again, I would, but I am comfortable with the fact that it just didn't work out and that I have him as secure as humanly possible in the FF position.

I would purchase a Radian if I was you. I don't know the compatibility in a Passat wagon, but hopefully others will chime in who have installed them in those vehicles (btw, I LOVE:love: VW wagons! We hope to buy one with a diesel engine in the next few years.) You could try to fit the Radian FF in the center, Marathon and Snugrides in the outboard positions.

That's what I would try if I was in your situation.

Last edited:
I

Ina

First off, thanks so much for your comments! Yes, we love our wagon and have been very happy with all the VW's we've ever owned. The next one for us will probably be a diesel as well if we can continue to squeeze ourselves into the car:)
I think I will start by purchasing one Radian and see what space savings I come up with. Are you comfortable with the baby not being in the center from a safety standpoint?
Thanks again for answering...you must be quite busy with your little gang:) They're super cute!

Ina

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
We wanted a Passat, but I couldn't fit my kids 3 across in the back. (Just as well, as I'm now expecting #4, but I really liked both the vehicle and the dealer.) I did not try a Radian, however. Maybe someone will have a good idea for you. I just wanted to wish you luck!

sirrahn

I know there's been a redesign and I have no idea how much if any it affected the backseat space, but we fit 3 across our '02 wagon without much problem. I did finally get a minivan when #3 was 14 months (and now have 4), but they all did fit and I still much prefer to drive the wagon when I don't have the whole crew.

We had a rfing Roundabout driver's side, ffing Marathon in the middle and Star-riser comfy booster behind the driver. I've also had a ffing RA, Evenflo Big Kid and SR/C across the back. You may want to install the seats with the seatbelts rather than use the LATCH anchors. That will let you shift the car seats a little closer to the door. I've not ever tried a Radian, but if it installs ok, it should give you a good chance at getting them all back there. GL!

sixboys

First off, thanks so much for your comments! Yes, we love our wagon and have been very happy with all the VW's we've ever owned. The next one for us will probably be a diesel as well if we can continue to squeeze ourselves into the car:)
I think I will start by purchasing one Radian and see what space savings I come up with. Are you comfortable with the baby not being in the center from a safety standpoint?
Thanks again for answering...you must be quite busy with your little gang:) They're super cute!

Ina

Thanks! I am pretty busy most of the time.:)

I would put the baby outboard RF if DD2 remains FF in her Marathon. A RF child is more protected than a FF child, and the rule of thumb is to put the least protected child in the most protected position. Be sure to update us as to how it works out!

henrietta

We have a Passat sedan, and I was reading posts here awhile back about the Radian. Someone had a great/easy install w/it in the Passat. I think from the description of it and knowledge of our seats/belts, it would work.

Love the Passat!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC