I would like to know what carseats you guys would recommend. Thanks

I drive a 1997 Chevy Camaro

and my DD is 4yo 33#, 42in tall with a 14in torso

Money is no object

Thanks again!

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
"Best" is the one that fits your car, fits your child, AND is used correctly each time.

If I remember the back seat of a Camero correctly, THAT might be a challenge. I seem to remember deep bucket seats with a pretty significant "hump" in the middle. But it's been 15-20 years since I've been IN one. . .

What are you currently using and how does that fit your child and vehicle? What features of your current seat do you like/dislike?

Do you have lap shoulder belts in the back?

Do you have a tether anchor installed?

Are you in an area where you can TRY seats at a brick and mortar store?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Pretty much what Flipper said.

To add to that---I would see if you can find a seat that fits your car that your child can remain in a 5 pt harness in.

Since your back seats are buckety---you may need to look at a seat with a narrow footprint.

Susan

sixboys

I'd recommend the Britax Regent, but if you have bucket seats you may have better luck with one of the Britax seats that harness to 65 pounds (Boulevard, Decathalon or Marathon). They are on a base wich means they can install well in a narrower seat.

If you can get to a local baby store that carries these seats and try them out in your car, that would be very helpful to you.

If the Regent won't fit in the seat, I personally would recommend you get a Boulevard for the side impact wings and additional shoulder width across the top slots of the harness. My six year old still fits in a Boulevard, whereas he grew out of a Marathon by 4.5 due to the narrower shoulder area.

If your DD is narrow through the shoulders a Marathon could work just as well. I'd stay away from the Decathalon though, as it has the narrowest shoulder area of the three seats.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Marathon or Boulevard or Triumph Advance or Radian are all good harnessed choices to try. Compass B510 or Recaro Vivo/Vivo Lite are good boosters to try.

I have no idea which if any of these would work, and harnessed is safest if you can get it to fit, but those seats and boosters have bases that tend to fit better in deep seat buckets. See if you can find a tech locally to help you with install tricks, and go to the Chevy dealer to see if they'll add top tether anchors (can be done free in most cars, and would be a huge safety benefit with harnessed seats or with another good booster, the Recaro Start, which requires a top tether).
:thumbsup:

ajnashmom

I dont know if this helps by we have installed our FPSVD in both a 1992 Camaro and a 2002 Camaro and it was a great install.

The passanger in the seat is 37# and 38 1/2 inches, close to a 15 inch torso...

B

becky129622

She is currently in a five point harness forward facing as rear facing is impossible in my car.

ajnashmom

Yup, my dd is forward facing...and it fits nicely in my husbands Camaro. I think the FPSVD can be ordered online and they carry the Britax Marathon at Target. The reason I bring up a Marathon is because the FPSVD and Marathon are similar.. (someone else could probably explain the differences better than me.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC