Scenera Next

mamabearof3

My 2.5yo is maybe 26#. She is about 34.5 inches high, 20 3/4 inches rump to shoulder & 34.5 inches rump to top of head sitting.

How long would a Scenera Next last her? Is it comfy? I will say the lack of eps foam bothers me...

Thanks,
Mamabear

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are you certain about the last two measurements? Her standing height and rump-to-head height are the same. And her rump-to-shoulder height is taller than the belt guides on many boosters...

If you can update with some clarification on her stats, that will help. Assuming that her standing height is correct, she is about the same size as my 2y10m daughter, who has at least 3" above her head. Keep in mind that the Scenera NEXT has a 40" standing height limit as well, though.

I love the seat and my daughter did not complain about the comfort at all. Admittedly, though, she wasn't in it for all that long of a trip. It's nice that you can have it as upright as you like for older toddlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mamabearof3

Sorry! Frazzled mama brain...
12.5 ish to shoulder sitting
20 3/4ish to top of head sitting
34.5ish standing height

How long do you think it would last her height wise?

Also, How can it be just as "safe" as seats with EPS foam for the head?

Thx!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am not not a great judge of how long a seat will last before outgrown, so I hope someone else might be able to answer that, but I would guess that you'd have at least another 1-2 years RF (and it is almost already outgrown FF).

As for the safety, my understanding is that all seats meet the same standards and how they meet those standards varies. Some go ultra-rigid with a steel-reinforced frame and EPS foam. Others build the energy management into the flexibility of the frame. Different methods might also work better or worse in different types of crashes. For what it's worth, the Scenera NEXT received a "better" score in the Consumer Reports crash testing.

Last edited:

mamabearof3

Thank you Nedra! I am having a hard time going from substantial seats like Radians & Frontiers & swallowing that a 7# $45 piece of plastic is equally (or potentially safer) for my bambina!;)

A few more Qs...
1. Is the Scenera Next pee accident friendly? I.e. Easy to clean under the cover?
2. I assume the straps can be removed & replaced if necessary?
3. Is it a comfy enough rear facing seat to use as a primary?
4. If installed RF on a plane, can the seat recline in front of it recline?

My radians are almost expired & are very, very "well loved". I am ready for a simple, easy & airplane friendly seat. I am thinking of using it as my only seat for the next 6m plus in my 2011 Odyssey. I won't need a second seat until Aug & I can determine our needs & wants then...

I can afford a different seat. Would you put your babe in a Scenera Next?...

Thank you!!!
Mamabear to 4

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thank you Nedra! I am having a hard time going from substantial seats like Radians & Frontiers & swallowing that a 7# $45 piece of plastic is equally (or potentially safer) for my bambina!;)

A few more Qs...

1. Is the Scenera Next pee accident friendly? I.e. Easy to clean under the cover?

2. I assume the straps can be removed & replaced if necessary?

3. Is it a comfy enough rear facing seat to use as a primary?

4. If installed RF on a plane, can the seat recline in front of it recline?

My radians are almost expired & are very, very "well loved". I am ready for a simple, easy & airplane friendly seat. I am thinking of using it as my only seat for the next 6m plus in my 2011 Odyssey. I won't need a second seat until Aug & I can determine our needs & wants then...

I can afford a different seat. Would you put your babe in a Scenera Next?...

Thank you!!!

Mamabear to 4

Answers to your questions:

1. I think so. The cover is easy to remove and both machine washable and dryable. The plastic of the shell is smooth, so it seems easy to clean.

2. I think so, but maybe call Dorel if you are particularly worried about this.

3. There's another mom on here who bought this seat as a backup and ended up selling her MyRide and getting another NEXT. I think it depends on the kid as far as what is comfy enough. It doesn't have strap covers, which is a non-issue for some and is a deal-breaker for others. It also doesn't have a ton of legroom and is fairly narrow, so that might be problematic, depending on the kid. To maximize comfort, get the solid color seats (online-only) -- these seats have a fabric that is more like a Nextfit and feels a little more cushy than the patterned seats. Also, if the seat you receive seems to have a very short crotch strap, call Dorel and ask for the longer one. The newer seats manufactured after Sept (I think?) will already have it.

4. I haven't used ours on a plane yet, but it can be installed as upright as you like (for an older child), so I think it has good potential for being compact enough.

As far as whether I would put my babe in a Scenera NEXT? I would and I have! I have to admit that there are other seats that I prefer, but I think the NEXT is an awesome seat and I love that I have something so lightweight to use for travel and as a spare. And it fits in all our vehicles (unlike our previous spare seat, which did not fit in our compact car), which makes it very versatile and convenient.

mamabearof3

Y'all rock!! One last question. Is there a difference between the seat covers? Nadre said in an older thread the solids were really comfy. However, my daughter loves a patterned one...

Thanks,
Mamabear

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Y'all rock!! One last question. Is there a difference between the seat covers? Nadre said in an older thread the solids were really comfy. However, my daughter loves a patterned one...

Thanks,
Mamabear

There's a definite difference in the seat covers. The patterned ones have a very smooth, almost silky fabric in the patterned area and the cloth on the sides is kind of a textured, almost felt-like fabric. The solid color seat covers are all the same material and it is kind of like a neoprene feeling where the cushiness is built right into the fabric. Hard to describe, but they are definitely different.

However, I don't know that I have heard of any kids with the patterned seats complaining about the comfort, so maybe it doesn't make a huge difference. If your daughter loves a patterned one, that is worth something too! A small upgrade in comfort might not be worth as much to her as having a seat that she loves and is eager to climb into. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC