Question Car Seat Suggestions for 2.5 year old

Erinappler

Hi all,
We are starting to look for a replacement car seat for my husband's car. Would prefer something lightweight as we need a travel seat for upcoming air travel.

My daughter will be three in April, is 36inches and 26lbs. Her primary seat is a Chicco Nextfit and we love it. Her second seat is a Graco MyRide 70 and she just moved up to the tallest harness slots (slots are a good 2-3 inches over her shoulders) but her head seems to be within 1-2 inches of the top of the seat. Does the 1 inch rule apply to the MyRide? She is forward-facing.

Any suggestions on good seat recommendations would be much appreciated! She is a lightweight so a super high weight seat isn't a big worry. Should we purchase another convertible seat or something like a 5pt booster? I saw the Evenflo SureRide today at Babies R Us for $69 too.

Thank you!!

ADS

Keeyamah

The one inch rule is for rearfacing, for forward facing, it's the standing height limit (which also applies for rearfacing, but may be different), shoulders above the top harness slots, or Tops of Ears above the seat (sometimes written as "mid-point of head"). So she isn't outgrowing any of her seats, but if you want a new one just because, we'll let ya [emoji2]

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
She hasn't outgrown her seat, but if you want recommendations for a lightweight travel seat, the Evenflo Maestro, Evenflo Securekid, and Evenflo SureRide are all good choices for a forward-facing child. I don't have any MyRide experience, so I don't know how they compare to that one as far as portability.

ETA: I also heard that the Graco Contender is good for using on the plane. It has a closed beltpath for FF and so the plane buckle doesn't dig into the kid's back. I think you can also partially lower the tray table? I cannot remember...

EATA: This explains how the Contender works for airplane travel: http://csftl.org/graco-contender-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

That's a great price for a Sureride!

The one inch rule generally applies for rear facing. For forward facing, the top of the shell needs to be even with the tops of her ears. So it sounds like she has plenty of growing room.

Do you still need suggestions? I would strongly consider that Sureride, but I might be biased because of my tall, long-waisted, impulsive children. The other good option is an Evenflo Maestro. (Which my just turned 6 year old outgrew ages ago, but it should probably last you a long time.) If you're going to fly with it and want her to be able to use the tray table, or you think you might want to do a tight side by side install with it someday, you might want to consider making it an "institutional Maestro": http://carseatblog.com/22254/caps-f...o-an-institutional-model-without-cup-holders/

Cnidaria

The last comment on that thread notes that Evenflo wouldn't sell the caps to the commenter in Feb 2015. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC