Vehicle's manual vs. Car seat's manual

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Was given some info today at work that I'm not sure is right. When a vehicle has only 4 LATCH hooks in the rear seat, but the vehicle's manual says you CAN install a car seat with LATCH in the center position, can you install it in the center? I was told, no, that the car seat manufacturers say you can't if there aren't 2 dedicated LATCH connections just for the center position.

The vehicle was a Highlander, I think...was only out there for a minute.

There was just 1 single Keyfit being installed in the car if that makes any difference. (I assume that you cannot put 3 seats across and use the center position if there are only 4 LATCH connections as that would necessitate seats SHARING a connection.)

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Depends. Some carseats don't allow you to "borrow," even if the vehicle allows it, but other carseats do allow it. You have to check both manuals. :)

ETA: And yes, sharing is never allowed.

crunchierthanthou

Both manuals have to allow center LATCH if there isn't a dedicated set of lower anchors for that position.

You can install in the center with three across or even two side by side, but you have to use the seatbelt for that position.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If the vehicle manual says you can install in the center using inner outboard LATCH anchors without any condition (such as the following quote*) then you don't need permission from the carseat manual to do so -- however, LATCH anchors can only have one hook attached, so the outboard seats in this case would have to use seatbelts only....

If the vehicle manual says you can install in the center using inner outboard LATCH anchors with the condition (*such as "when allowed by the vehicle manufacturer) then you have to call the carseat customer service number because approval for this isn't specified in any carseat manual: they often want to know the distance between anchors.

If the vehicle manual has designated center LATCH anchors, then just follow the carseat manual as usual for LATCH install info (you don't need permission, it's already given)

If the vehicle manual doesn't specifically say whether you can install with LATCH in the center, then assume you cannot (LATCH for outboard only).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Both Chicco and Toyota do not approve it, so in that car with that seat, nope. Quite a few others do approve it, cars and seats, but if you don't have the higher power of the LATCH manual (from www.saferidenews.com) on hand, you need to defer to both manuals and look for confirmation in both of them.

:)

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks for the replies!! Now I have a much better understanding...

I didn't get as far as reading the Keyfit manual before I had to come in so I don't know what it said. But I personally read the manual for the vehicle and it DID say that the center position was ok with LATCH...so I'm probably wrong about it being a Highlander. There are so many new SUVs out there I can't keep them all straight! LOL

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If the vehicle manual says you can install in the center using inner outboard LATCH anchors with the condition (*such as "when allowed by the vehicle manufacturer) then you have to call the carseat customer service number because approval for this isn't specified in any carseat manual: they often want to know the distance between anchors.

I helped install an infant seat last month that specified in the manual that borrowing was allowed as long as the anchors were within a certain length (can't remember exactly what that was). It was a Snugride, I think? I'd have to go outside in the nasty weather to check, sorry.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks for the replies!! Now I have a much better understanding...

I didn't get as far as reading the Keyfit manual before I had to come in so I don't know what it said. But I personally read the manual for the vehicle and it DID say that the center position was ok with LATCH...so I'm probably wrong about it being a Highlander. There are so many new SUVs out there I can't keep them all straight! LOL
LOL! GM, Ford, Mazda allow 'non standard' center usage. Key Fit still doesn't, though (easy to install with the belt, at least!)

:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I helped install an infant seat last month that specified in the manual that borrowing was allowed as long as the anchors were within a certain length (can't remember exactly what that was). It was a Snugride, I think? I'd have to go outside in the nasty weather to check, sorry.

Cool! I haven't noticed that in any yet -- good reminder that things change frequently in this field :whistle:

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Some cars have 4 anchors, but they are all spaced evenly, so you can either do 2 outboard or 1 center. This is different from cars where you are "borrowing" from the outboard positions to use the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC