Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Minivan rollover seatbelt issue?

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she mentioned someone she knew who had a van with the known issue of seat belts that release in a rollover crash. Apparently this person's kid was in a booster during a rollover crash and the belt came undone. Then she found out this was a problem with the vehicle.

Anyone know anything about this? It kind of freaked my friend out when it happened years ago. She is knowledgable about car seats, but she has big kids, and I want to reassure her that a seatbelt installation is perfectly safe when her son reaches the LATCH limit of her seat.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Minivan rollover seatbelt issue?

I am far from an expert on this, but my guess is your friend is referring to Gen 3 seat belts. They aren't used anymore, as far as I know. But they were used in Chrysler vehicles (perhaps others) for 10ish years, mid 90's- early/mid 2000s if I am remembering right.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Re: Minivan rollover seatbelt issue?

That would make sense with the timing and such. Those are really common vans. She has a Sienna, maybe '06, so she should be good!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag