Do I need a carseat for my 4 yr old on plane?

Hazelandlucy

I am going to Disney World for my daughter's 4 yr old birthday. We are doing the Magical Express so no need for carseats (which I agonize over every year, but it's more than likely happening). I think she would leave a lap belt alone so I am just concerned about the safety aspect. Does she still need a carseat on the plane? She is 39 inches, 34 or 35 lbs. Thank you!

ADS

rachelandtyke

When my kids were that size and I could trust them to not mess with the buckle I let them ride without a seat if we had one already there or didn't need one at destination.

oakster

I was debating the same thing for my nearly-four-year-old, who has identical stats. I've pretty much decided not to worry about it but am still toying with the idea of borrowing a CARES harness for the trip.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was debating the same thing for my nearly-four-year-old, who has identical stats. I've pretty much decided not to worry about it but am still toying with the idea of borrowing a CARES harness for the trip.

This. I was debating whether to even bring up a CARES harness because I don't think it sounds necessary. But if it would make you feel more comfortable, I think that would be what I would recommend over lugging a seat onboard that you won't be using at your destination. Just keep in mind that it will probably be the only use you get out of it for this child, since she is pretty much right at the height limit. But if it would make you more comfortable and there are other children it could be passed down to, it might be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazelandlucy

Ok, great, I think we will give it go without the carseat! I am so excited to walk through an airport with just a Coccoro for DD2!

For future trips, what is the official verdict on checking carseats? I have never figured it out - ok to gate check? What about checking as baggage in a cardboard box?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
For future trips, what is the official verdict on checking carseats? I have never figured it out - ok to gate check? What about checking as baggage in a cardboard box?

I wouldn't personally ever check a car seat. I have friends who gate-checked a seat and it was damaged. I *have* packed an infant seat base amongst clothes in a checked suitcase though, and felt comfortable with that. And I have read on here that if you are bringing a high back booster somewhere, the recommendation is to bring a 2-in-1 booster and pack the back in a suitcase with clothes and bring the seat bottom on board. I guess the thinking is that if the back gets lost, at least you still have a backless booster to use until your luggage is found.

Hazelandlucy

I wouldn't personally ever check a car seat. I have friends who gate-checked a seat and it was damaged. I *have* packed an infant seat base amongst clothes in a checked suitcase though, and felt comfortable with that. And I have read on here that if you are bringing a high back booster somewhere, the recommendation is to bring a 2-in-1 booster and pack the back in a suitcase with clothes and bring the seat bottom on board. I guess the thinking is that if the back gets lost, at least you still have a backless booster to use until your luggage is found.

What if I had a combination seat that became a LBB (like the new Graco Tranzitions) - could I take the harness off and pack it like you said and then reattach the harness at my destination? That way I have a harnessed seat I didn't have to lug through the airport at all.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What if I had a combination seat that became a LBB (like the new Graco Tranzitions) - could I take the harness off and pack it like you said and then reattach the harness at my destination? That way I have a harnessed seat I didn't have to lug through the airport at all.

This is a good question! I will have to defer to someone else on here, though, as I don't know whether that would be recommended. I think that the reason for packing the back to a HBB is that you can't use the HBB on the plane -- so it's an "it's not great to have to check it, but what's the alternative?" kind of thing. Since you *can* use a combination seat like the Graco Tranzitions on a plane, my guess would be that the safest thing to do would be to use it on the plane since that way you not have to worry about the seat ever leaving your sight.

I am guessing that what you are suggesting would physically work, but you'd be taking the risk that if your luggage was lost, you would have only a backless booster to use at your destination. If your child is used to a harnessed seat, that wouldn't be a great solution.

1mommy

it might work, but keep in mind that you will likely be tired after your flight and you will have 2 kids and husband eager to get on the road. So having your husband entertain them while you put the seat together and install it (even if its just 10 minutes, that 10 minutes could feel like forever with 2 small children and cranky husband). If for future trips you needed a seat at your destination I would be more inclined to try out a high backed booster if you think your 4 year old could sit properly, you could even try sitting next to her reminding her to sit still.

AllieK

My almost 4yo who was 42lbs 44" when we flew didn't fit well in the airplane seat - he was too small. We had a Maestro for him but if I were in your situation I would absolutely rent a CARES for the trip. Take off & landing can really throw you forward, especially if the runway is a bit short. I would have been very nervous with my DS in the plane seat.

1mommy

My almost 4yo who was 42lbs 44" when we flew didn't fit well in the airplane seat - he was too small. We had a Maestro for him but if I were in your situation I would absolutely rent a CARES for the trip. Take off & landing can really throw you forward, especially if the runway is a bit short. I would have been very nervous with my DS in the plane seat.

Part of the problem is that the Cares Harness wont really help improve the lap belt fit, I've heard the airplane belt doesn't fit a child well until they are over 40 pounds, and if they are tall and skinny, even longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC