Click Connect 30 vs Click Connect 30 LX

agent220

Is the LX really a half lb lighter? Other than the push button latch, is there any advantage to it over the regular 30 to make it worth a higher price?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This range of models? http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/snugride-click-connect-30-lx-infant-car-seat-charger.aspx
I guess the rear adjust ones are the cheaper ones?
They are half a pound lighter than the 35, because the 35 has a taller shell to last a bit longer (30 goes to 30 inches, 35 goes to 32 inches, usually about 6 months longer use).

Why does it seem like the 30LX is a stripped down model, while the 35LX is the fancier model? Or are all 30s LX's now (The old 30's had the nicer bases, now that they are LX, they have the junky base...?--At BRU, at least-- I'm so confused!)

http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/snugride-click-connect-35-lx-infant-car-seat-harris.aspx (built in lockoff, no rethread harness).

Last edited:

agent220

But doesn't it seem like they are saying the 30 is half a lb heavier than the 30 LX? I'm not considering a 35 LX at all -- my kids are not that big, and I don't need a bigger seat that is just more cumbersome to use.

Average prices are under $100 for 30 rear adjust, $100 or so for 30 front adjust, and $120ish for 30LX (obviously front adjust). I'm debating between the $100 and $120 models, which are actually cheaper on Amazon or with a 20% off code I have for BBB....
Look at the chart here to show my confusion:
Amazon.com : Graco Snugride Click Connect 30 LX Infant Car Seat, Glacier : Baby

So do I want the 30 LX for the base? And is it really lighter weight?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, I see that chart (I'm so much less confused, now!)... Looks like the nice bases are all discontinued from the 30's... bummer! I don't know how the LX can weigh less than the 30, that's wild...probably a difference in padding...? The shell is the same, except for the adjuster bits and pieces, but those don't weigh 8 ounces.
So yeah, the LX would be fine. :)
Thanks again for posting that chart, Snugride models change faster than the rest of us change underwear, lol.

agent220

I get that the LX would be fine, but I guess my question is if I'm really gaining anything if the base is the same (I guess it has push button latch instead) for more money...I'm just so overwhelmed....I had a SR 22 10 years ago and it was a no brainer, and then I got a Combi Connection 7 years ago so I've been out of the Graco market for a long while!

The plain 30s on Graco's site with front adjust are the same price as LXes, so I'm wondering if they just left off the LX designation but they're really the same.

But now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a Classic Connect (I don't need the Click feature) if weight is about the same. Amazon.com : Graco SnugRide 30 Classic Connect Car Seat, Dragonfly : Baby
Significantly cheaper, but not sure if it has less padding or what. From the blog post, it seems the crotch measurements are either mislabeled on one or measured differently as the discrepancy is huge. http://csftl.org/graco-infant-seats-whats-the-difference/

agent220

And according to that 2 year old post, it seems Graco discontinued the Classic Connect line? It doesn't seem that way from my browsing online, but if it is true, then the car seats being sold expire in 5 years instead of 7?

agent220

I think I'm going to get a Classic Connect 30, a 30 LX Click Connect, and a 35 Click Connect (with the dial on the base), compare them all, and return the ones I am not keeping to Amazon, since they have free returns. I think that's my best bet as I don't know of any brick and mortar stores near me that have all the options to see in person...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I went to sleep last night and though, "The Classic Connect 30 would be perfect for her..."
Amazon.com : Graco SnugRide 30 Classic Connect Car Seat, Dragonfly : Baby
It's got a decent recline base, great harness positioning (only the 22, the one with no number after the name, is super terrible, gracobaby.com still shows it as current, but it's long gone and good riddance), and nice head protection foam. Classic also has the random benefit of fitting on tons of older strollers with Graco adapter bars (that don't work with Clicks, just Classics).

agent220

LOL, I added that to my cart last night before you posted and it was only $74. I waited till this morning to complete my purchase as starting in October I get 5% back from my credit card....and it leaped up to $99 so I don't want to buy it now thinking it may go down again -- I have a hangup against paying more than I know it could be!

I'm heavily leaning toward a a dial adjustment base...maybe a Click Connect 35 in Tangerine or Pierce which seems like it would be 7.5 lbs vs 9.6 like a 35 LX would be. The 35 LXes show a good front to back gap, not sure if a 35 without LX would be similar. I have a BBB coupon for 20% off which would take my Tangerine down to about $104, but I want to make sure it's not an LX because they listed the weight as 9.6 which I think is inaccurate.

I have a car seat cover already (yes, the safe shower cap style)...so any reason I would want to spend a little more on getting the boot like the Pierce has?

I'm not worried about fitting it into a stroller. I don't use car seats in that way EXCEPT I would probably use the Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier I had back in the day of my SR 22 (10 years ago) for the 5 minutes it takes me to walk through the parking lot to get my 2 yo from his toddler program and back to the car. As that has straps and doesn't click any seat in it, I can't see why the Click vs Classic should make a difference, but am I wrong?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The 35LX is like the 40, the no-rethread harness and headwings and mondo padding really do add two pounds to the whole thing. Plain old 35 at 7.5 is plenty light and that couple inches extra height over the 30 can mean you can use it as a spare seat for a few months longer, even without carrying it out of the car.

agent220

Yeah, I realize all that -- I think BBB just put the wrong information in the description. This looks like a regular 35, right?
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ct-35-infant-car-seat-in-tangerine/1041245545

And of course, being anxious me with a mother in law who is a CPST and just got a 35 last night for my sister in law, I'm rethinking this whole Graco business and wondering if I should just get a different brand with built in lockoffs that is around the same weight. I don't think I'll be installing it in a seat with LATCH. I have about a month or so left to make up my mind!

ETA: Never mind, I figured out the ALR system in our new van so I can just rely on that for a base install without lockoffs. In my minivan, if I do decide to use a base, I have LATCH available in just about every seat. And if I were to use the car seat baseless, built in lockoffs wouldn't help.

Last edited:
C

clazel

I am a hospital nurse and I see a lot of car seats for the car seat studies that we do for infants under 5 lbs or under 37 weeks gestation. I am not very familiar with the 30XL model, but the Snugride 30 is the bane of my existence. On our tiny babies the crotch strap is WAY too far from the baby to fit safely. We have to use a heavy washcloth folded into a large blob to fill in the space enough for tiny babies. Without the filler, the baby's bottom will slide forward, putting the impact from a crash onto the babies shoulders and neck. (Not to mention the possibility of strangling on the chest clip.) We explain this to parents but my concern is that they may forget to do this. I wish Graco would not market this as a carseat for infants as small as 4 lbs!

The Snugride 35XL is a much better fit for the little ones that we see and can be adjusted for larger babies too. I recommend that one to parents who are leaning towards the Snugride 30.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC