S/O 2015 Winter coats for the car seat

Persimmon

Add any others that you know of! I will update the list as more are posted.

Light:
Land's End Lightweight Packable--Hooded
LL Bean Puff n Stuff--Hooded

Medium:
North Face Perrito--Hooded
Land's End Stormer--Hooded
Costco Gerry Packable down--Hooded. $30. Heavy if layered with a fleece.
Patagonia Reversible Puff Ball--baby to 5T

Heavy:
North Face Moondoggy--Hooded (Not Canadian heavy)
Costco Snozu--Hooded and fleece lined (18months to 6) $23
North Face Thermoball. Now with and without hood for sizes XS and up. 2T-6 hood only.
Gap Primaloft Luxe Puffer--Detachable hood, fleece lining.

Not sure what category:
Columbia Powder Lite Puffer
Columbia Fleece Bunting
Gap Primaloft Eco Raglan Puffer
Patagonia Nano puff - no hood
Patagonia Reversible Down Sweater - hood

See Carseat Blog's post on how to test if a coat is OK for using in a carseat. Not everyone agrees on which coats work in a carseat (particularly if you are sizing up to try to get another year out of the coat) so be sure to test them yourself.

Last edited:
ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The North Face Thermoball - has a hood for 2015 which I personally dislike in the car and my kid hates hoods, so I'm happy I bought a larger size at end of season last year. But I know some folks love hoods.

Warmer than a Perrito. Not sure if warmer than Moon Doggy, but it's at least as warm. And it's the same or less bulky than the Perrito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Persimmon

The North Face Thermoball - has a hood for 2015 which I personally dislike in the car and my kid hates hoods, so I'm happy I bought a larger size at end of season last year. But I know some folks love hoods.

Warmer than a Perrito. Not sure if warmer than Moon Doggy, but it's at least as warm. And it's the same or less bulky than the Perrito.

Good news. They still offer it without a hood.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Good news. They still offer it without a hood.

Apologies, I wasn't clear. There is a hood on the toddler 2T-6 sizes now (no hood last year) and the girls/boys sizes XXS and up has both hood and hoodless options. Since I was looking for a size 4, my original info was just for the toddler sizes.

Last edited:

brooksfamily

They are pricey but Patagonia makes 2. I got one last year at REI at and end of season sale for a good price.

Both are extremely compressible.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
They are pricey but Patagonia makes 2. I got one last year at REI at and end of season sale for a good price.

Ah yes. Which reminds me, for sizes baby - 5T, also Patagonia's reversible Puff-ball jacket. It's basically the same weight and compressibility as The North Face Perrito.

Persimmon

Would you say medium or heavy weight?

cookie123

Lands End has a $15 off coupon and LLBean a 20% off. Both came in my email today. I might buzz out to the Mall of America soon and take a look at the LLBean coat. Today I got a 30% off coupon from Lands End!

Last edited:

brooksfamily

Would you say medium or heavy weight?

Neither was rated on the site for what temps. I haven't seen the nano puff in person so I would say medium. The down sweater with hood (Although our is hoodless...they must have changed them) is a heavier weight coat. I have it in vest form and it is warm. Although, all Patagonia products are really functional, the coat itself isn't bulky at all.

mping

The Nano puff isn't down so not as warm but the Down Sweater is so super warm. I live in Chicago and my kids have worn them even during the Polar Vortex ;)

allmyboyz

Anyone know if the patagonia hi loft down sweater is as compressible as needed for a car seat? How does sizing run on northface and patagonia for a 2.5 yo who wears 24m clothing? Also any opinions on fleece buntings (looking at patagonia micro d, synchilla, northface, columbia foxy, any others) for baby so that I can transfer baby to a carrier outside rather than carry his seat into the store.

brightredmtn

Not sure what category:
Columbia Fleece Bunting

DS has the Powder Lite Puffer he's not in a harness this year but from eye balling the jacket and compressing it with my fingers I'd feel comfortable from a compression standpoint using it under a harness. It is a little on the long side though so my only concern I'd look out for is that the length isn't interfering with hips of the harness.

DD is still being kept warm by amniotic fluid but I'll report back about the Columbia Fleece Bunting in three or so weeks. This is the one we have. It's their standard fleece so I'd categorize it as light weight.

Are you categories for warmth or density?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Anyone know if the patagonia hi loft down sweater is as compressible as needed for a car seat? How does sizing run on northface and patagonia for a 2.5 yo who wears 24m clothing? Also any opinions on fleece buntings (looking at patagonia micro d, synchilla, northface, columbia foxy, any others) for baby so that I can transfer baby to a carrier outside rather than carry his seat into the store.

Sizing depends on the specific item. TechnoKid currently has a 2 TNF jackets in kid's medium and one fits her perfectly (which means it fits small as medium I'm 10/12 and she is 9 and basically 50th percentile) and the other is too big (but wearable) and she needs to roll up the sleeves. That being said, I typically find Patagonia toddler stuff to run larger than TNF toddler stuff though; I find it fits wider. Patagonia doesn't fit my thin kid well at all, but it fit my huskier kid much better.

Last edited:

teresah00

DD turned 3 in August. She's small for her age wearing 2t or 3t clothes. Her 2t Patagonia down sweater fits w room to grow. Also have a 3t and its way to big. She wore an 18m last winter. It's a little snug and short in sleeves now but she can still get into it. My 7yo has one too in small, I don't find the larger sizes run as big.

My 5yo and 10yo have a north face moondoggy. I think they run true to size.
Posted via Mobile Device

teresah00

Add any others that you know of! I will update the list as more are posted.

Light:
Land's End Lightweight Packable--Hooded
LL Bean Puff n Stuff--Hooded

Medium:
North Face Perrito--Hooded
Land's End Stormer--Hooded
Costco Gerry Packable down--Hooded. $30. Heavy if layered with a fleece.
Patagonia Reversible Puff Ball--baby to 5T

Heavy:
North Face Moondoggy--Hooded (Not Canadian heavy)
Costco Snozu--Hooded and fleece lined (18months to 6) $23
North Face Thermoball. Now with and without hood for sizes XS and up. 2T-6 hood only.
Gap Primaloft Luxe Puffer--Detachable hood, fleece lining.

Not sure what category:
Columbia Fleece Bunting
Gap Primaloft Eco Raglan Puffer

See Carseat Blog's post on how to test if a coat is OK for using in a carseat. Not everyone agrees on which coats work in a carseat (particularly if you are sizing up to try to get another year out of the coat) so be sure to test them yourself.

7Yo DS has the Costco Gerry and Patagonia down sweater. The down sweater is much warmer according to him. I'm not sure it's quite as warm as the moondoggy that my other son has but he wore it all last winter.

Anyone have feedback on the Eddie Bauer down jacket for boys?
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC