Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Debating...which would you put newbie in?

Baby is due mid December, my SR22 expires end of December, but would make it through first two weeks of Dr appts, which is all we'll leave home for anyway.

CCO expires in May. I'm not a fan of the way the newborn fit *looks* in this, but love it for older infants. My other kids have outgrown this so if I don't use it for baby I'll never use it again. Thing is when it expires my other convertibles will still be being used by my toddlers, so I'll NEED a new seat at some point anyway, but it seems to make more sense to wait til then and reevaluate what we need/what new is available.

I'm not opposed to a convertible from birth. Fit wise though I'm undecided about the snugride. My first three (36-37 weeks) were too short for the SRs, last two (39 weeks) were fine. With #3 I actually had to send DH out to get a KF to get home from the hospital even with a cloth diaper rump! I'd have the CCO for backup if baby's small, but I'm not excited about standing in the freezing winter a day postpartum trying to install the touchy CCO in my packed full (will be 6 car seats) suburban. So I should just plan to use the CCO from the start, right? I have guilt about allowing the snugride to just sit around expiring with no plans to use it though.

What would you do? Snugride, Cocorro, something new?
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I would do something new. I am not a fan of almost expired seats but that is just me.

For me I like to get the newest available technology out if I can afford it. That doesn't mean I am saying it's unsafe to use an almost expired seat that just my opinion.

Congrats on your new baby bean!!
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

What about the key fit? Is money an issue? You could get a cheapo infant seat like the comfy carry elite and try sell it on Craigslist afterwords.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Re: Debating...which would you put newbie in?

What did you do with the Key Fit? I imagine if you still had it you would use that. Lol.

I would get a new seat. I did not like the Coccoro though. It didn't install well in my car and I hated the way it fit Griffin. I wanted to love it though! The cuteness of the thing makes you want to!

Now I see it as an opportunity to try another infant seat! Or if you wanted to go cheap you could do a Comfy Carry or whatever they call it now then switch to the Coccoro when you're ready to. And it would probably be easy to sell after since it's not expensive.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Lol the keyfit I sent on with our last foster babe. I've been through five buckets in nine years...never hit an expiry before!

It's not that money is an issue, but it feels wasteful to not use the seats--i'll have to trash them. I don't know anyone having a baby this summer and it makes me nervous to send an almost expired seat to the thrift store or something.
    Cathy
    Sl--5y RF RXT;

The SR 22 will basically be expired by the time you will be ready to use it and it's not that far away. If you're 2 weeks overdue it will be expired. Honestly I'd just trash it and not give it another thought. I might feel differently if it was expiring 6 months later. Just use the Coccoro if you feel it's too wasteful too buy another seat. To me, an infant seat is needed in December if it's at all in your budget.

Just re-read the Coccoro expires in May. Someone could use that for almost a year. You might use the infant seat until then, especially with a full van. Personally I might try to pass on the Coccoro, trash the SR. 22 and get a nice long lasting infant seat if only for convenience.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Here, let me enable you on a carseat board: Nuna Pipa, Aton Q, or perhaps even another KeyFit 30. You *need* a load leg. There. Decision made.

Quote Originally Posted by murphydog77 View Post
    Here, let me enable you on a carseat board: Nuna Pipa, Aton Q, or perhaps even another KeyFit 30. You *need* a load leg. There. Decision made.
    Ha! See that's my real problem, I haven't been hanging around here lately so I have no positive influences in the matter

Yeah the CCO I'd pass on if I can just DECIDE something like now, it's just so small and cute and has the potential to help my desperately narrow third row's 3 across. I just hate to say goodbye because I know I'll never get another one...it's fairly useless with kids that outgrow the height (RF) at 15 months

Alright, alright, I hear ya. Jumping off the wagon!
    Cathy
    Sl--5y RF RXT;