Booster suggestions for Grand Caravan

littletadpole

Hi, I asked this as a followup in my previous post, but I thought it might be easier for people to answer if I made a new thread. :)

We just got a 2011 Grand Caravan and I'm looking for third row outboard booster options. I wanted to thank the person that mentioned the difficulty with the placement of the shoulder belt in finding a seat that works well, because we had a chance to try out a couple boosters last night and neither or them worked.

We didn't have a lot to choose from locally, so we tried the Graco Turbobooster and the shoulder belt wouldn't fully retract. It was good to see that so I knew what people were talking about when they mentioned that.

We also tried the Evenflo Big Kid DLX, and in that one the belt retracted fine, BUT there was such a small hookback on the shoulder strap guide that when I gave it the belt a tug with any force, it popped right out of the guide! That was actually kinda scary... if my son (being only 6) leaned forward quickly it would snap right out.

So, someone else mentioned the Evenflo AMP. I didn't have any of those to look at specifically, but does anyone know if they a different design than the DLX? I can't really tell from pictures I see online.

What are some other suggestions for a highback booster in the third row of a Grand Caravan? We have until October to find one that will work as that's when our old seat expires... but since we have so few options to check out closeby, I'd like to know what to look for when we are able to travel to the city where there will, hopefully, be more brands/types to look at!

Thanks so very much!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The AMP is (or was, there have been some design changes recently and I'm not 100% sure on what the changes are between the Evenflo models) not the same as the Big Kid, so give that one a try. As for the belt coming out though...your son shouldn't be doing that in a booster. If you're meaning in a crash that's different - the emergency locking retractor will kick in and keep him in place. The purpose of the belt guide (and the booster as a whole actually) is to properly position the belt on the child's body so that at the point of a crash the belt can do its job.

You might also try the Harmony Dreamtime (at Walmart) but there have been mixed reviews on that one. It might depend on the height at which the back is adjusted to whether you get hang up or not. It's also not a very tall booster so will be outgrown sooner than others. It's a frustrating spot to fit, that's for sure.

If you do find you want the space for a 4th seat then a great solution for that vehicle is to get an Evenflo SureRide/Titan 65 and use it in the 3rd row with UAS. The lower anchors are offset toward the driver's side, and that seat is so lightweight you can use it with lower anchors to a child weight of 55lbs. That gives more room for a booster rider on the '40' part on the passenger side.

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:eek::doh:

Sorry about that! All the light blue titles are blending together for me today, lol.
Well, maybe by October!

LKuepfer

I understand your frustration. I'm having the same problem with a 2005 Caravan. I tried the Big Kid too and know what you mean about the belt popping out really easily. It also didn't retract well so I didn't keep it. But there could be a difference in the years of the vans. The other seat I was told to try was the Britax Parkway. I have the 2013 year booster. Its not great either in my 2005 but maybe in your year van it would work. Its what I'm using for now because I haven't figured out anything else. I'll be following this thread to see if you find a solution!:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC