LBP and the Radian?????

ADS

scatterbunny

We don't know that for sure; that's the (IMO knee-jerk) response Russ gave someone via email, but he's told others they plan on testing it. The Radian is supposed to be "the strongest seat" ever, or something like that; it'd be pretty ironic if the sides weren't strong enough to take the LBP. :p

But like Becky, I would not use it that way, because it has not been tested and/or approved that way. We have no idea if it really would hold up, or how it would perform.With the Regent's recent advisory regarding the LBP, it seems that a seat's performance will be different depending on which method, SBP or LBP, is used.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I wouldn't. Sides of the shell aside, the belt path on the side closest to the child isn't reinforced so the seatbelt being pulled towards the front instead of down and backwards would make the belt right against the child's back for all intents and purposes. I'm not sure how that would affect comfort and I'm not sure how crash dynamics are affected by lbp either... If the seatbelt would even stay in the proper position when it's a piece of lightweight plastic between the seatbelt and the child - I have images of that part of the seat bowing outwards from the pressure of the seatbelt - not sure if that's how it'd actually work or not though... :confused:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the guy who invented/engineered the seat also affirmed the sides aren't reinforced for LBP (he invented that baby seat that was safe to use in front of an airbag, he probably is up on 'plastic strengths'...at least I hope so!)

:)

scatterbunny

I think the guy who invented/engineered the seat also affirmed the sides aren't reinforced for LBP (he invented that baby seat that was safe to use in front of an airbag, he probably is up on 'plastic strengths'...at least I hope so!)

:)

Thanks Julie, I didn't know that! So Russ isn't just babbling, he got the "sides not strong enough" straight from the horse's mouth. :p

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I had actually intended to use LBP as a "parental decision" before purchasing the Radian if I couldn't install it the usual way.

Now that I actually have it, though, there is NO WAY I'd ever install it LBP. I had thought the metal frame was in the sides, but it's not. The plastic on the sides isn't exactly flimsy, but it's nowhere near sturdy enough to hold the seat in a crash. I could probably break the sides with my bare hands if I really tried; the plastic's strength is similar to that on the Scenera, I think - this doesn't mean it's a weak seat or anything, I don't want to give that impression. It's a VERY well-made seat IMO. It's just that the sides are absolutely not designed to hold the seat, the plastic is totally different than what the rest of the seat is made of.

Anyway, just wanting to reiterate that this is definitely not a case of "not approved, but probably okay." It's definitely not safe!

Christi61315

ok so not sure what I am going to do.. there is not a good place to have the teather attatched but no other seat will work... he can not sit in a HBB..

off to go try one more time.. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC