Recaro Prosport booster mode?

abbi_n_nadia

Can it be LATCHed in booster mode? I just found out about the recall and that it needs to be top tethered at all times regardless of installation method. So I'm thinking of switching to booster mode temporarily for my 5yo. Either way I will have to move her to a different spot in the car because her current spot doesn't have LATCH or tether anchor. I'm going to go out later and try moving seats around but if I do decide to try booster mode, LATCH or no LATCH? Or just forget the Prosport for now and use the graco turbo safety surround (spare seat)? She does really good in a booster for short trips but gets fidgety/wiggly at times. She's been asking to be in a booster. And another problem, I caught her loosening the harness in the prosport so she could reach something. She's in the 3rd row right now so I can't see her that well. Ugh.

Edit: my signature is outdated...8yo is in FR85 booster mode now so the turbo is not being used currently.

ADS

Dorothy

I believe it can be LATCHed in booster mode. However, does the current seating posotion have a lap-shoulder belt? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the recall said a TT was now required for lap belt-only installs. The PS is so heavy, I personally wouldn't use it as a booster unLATCHed. In fact, I'd probably use the TBSS if I were going to switch to a booster.

Dorothy

I was curious, so I went and got the recall and manual. Do i need more coffee, or does the manual not explicitly require the TT with a L/S belt install? The cover label and recall notice do. I'm not using the PS anymore (I always had it TTed when we did), but I think the actual manual should also say the TT "must" be used in the L/S belt install section to avoid any confusion.

abbi_n_nadia

Thank you for posting the pictures. Is this the updated manual they send you? I haven't called to get the updated manual yet as I just found out about the recall today (I know I know, should have registered the seat. I always forget to do that!). I do believe you're right about the manual. It says the TT can only be used for children who weigh 90lbs or less but doesn't actually say that it is required for L/S belt installs. Did you happen to find anything about using LATCH in booster mode?

I went ahead and put the turbo booster in for now but she twisted sideways in the seat twice on the short ride to the school and back to pick up dd1. She was tired and trying to get comfy to fall asleep. Ugh. It's so upright and she's used to the more reclined prosport. As soon as I said something she sat up but I think she still needs to be harnessed.

Dorothy

Yes, this is the new manual that came with the recall fix. It allows LATCHing in booster mode. (The original PS manuals disallowed it, but some time ago another member here was told by Recaro CS it was retroactively allowed for all PS. I don't have a link to that thread, though.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC