Really upset- unsafe booster for my friends son :(

ChewyMama

My friends son is spending the night tonight. Like the times we've watched him in the past she gave us this super light, OLD booster to use. I think she knows its not the safest because she has made a few comments to me :confused:

He is very tall and skinny and just turned 5. I know he is over 40" but he is probably just around 40lbs. This booster seat is a Century and its 10 YEARS OLD. I dont feel comfortable driving around with him in it :(

So what article can I print out to give her and gently tell her that she NEEDS to get him something else. Its her fourth and last child so she wont need it again.

What is the most affordable option to offer her???
Is he ok to just get a new booster seat? or should he get a 5pt harness (my 5yr old has a regent)?

help!

ADS

sfeitler

Well, at 5 years old and 40 pounds, he can safely sit in a booster as long as he's not too wiggly. A high-back would be better than a backless, but the backless boosters are cheaper.

Is she just not willing to spend money on it? If thst's the case, there are backless boosters available for around $15 at K-mart, or Walmart. Or Albee Baby has the FP booster for $40: http://www.albeebaby.com/fiprsavoboca.html

-Sarah

ChewyMama

Im sure she will spend the money on it, but it will be easier to convince her if its not $250 for a regent ;)

so the fisher price Safe Voyage is a good/safe one?

thanks so much!

I ended up installing my 3yr olds Marathon so he could sit in that. They were going out and I just couldnt let him ride in that old thing :thumbsdown:

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Also, high back Turbo/Safe Seat step 3 boosters were on price cut for just under $40 when I was at my local Target the other day. My 6 yo dd has one and we like it well enough as a second seat.

ChewyMama

i didnt see him in the marathon but my husband said his head was a few inches over the top. is that really bad? :eek:

thanks for the recommendations. ive written them down and will talk with his mom tomorrow. im sure she will be happy to go get him something safer.

thank you! :)

tjham

Well, if he is close to outgrowing the Marathon, he is also close to outgrowing the FPSVD.
It is outgrown when the top of his ears are above the top of the back of the carseat for FF or if his shoulders are above the top harness slots.

abacus2

The Fisher Price seat mentioned in this thread is the booster, not the Safe Voyage Deluxe harnessed seat that is frequently recommended here. All the Fisher Price seats are based on Britax models and manufactured by Britax. The booster is based on the Britax booster design used before the Parkway.

scatterbunny

I would skip the Fisher Price booster, but I would go with something like the Graco TurboBooster/Safe Seat 3, or a Compass B510 (not B500 or B505, they are shorter and outgrown too soon), or a Britax Parkway (some models on sale online cheaper than a Compass B510, and around the same price as some TurboBoosters!!!).

sfeitler

I would skip the Fisher Price booster, but I would go with something like the Graco TurboBooster/Safe Seat 3, or a Compass B510 (not B500 or B505, they are shorter and outgrown too soon), or a Britax Parkway (some models on sale online cheaper than a Compass B510, and around the same price as some TurboBoosters!!!).

Right, I only mentioned the FP because I know it's extra-cheap right now. I've never used one. I like our TurboBooster pretty well, and they have lots of different covers to choose.

-Sarah

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would just suggest that she take him to a local Baby Supply Store (BabiesRUs, ToysRUs, Burlington Coat Factory) and have him try them and pick one out. Make sure it has a moveable back like the Turbo. It is something that he needs now. So I would go to the store and buy instead of buying on-line.

Stefanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC