Recaro Como or Signo?

Persephone

I'm looking to place my order today for either the Como or the Signo. I'm leaning to the Como only because it is not on backorder at this time.

I wanted to know which on is the better of the two?

ADS

katiebug

I think I'd wait for the Signo unless you need something now. The twisty strap issue, fairly useless headwings, lack of LATCH bar, and randomly loosening installs I've heard of would make me wait since it should :whistle: only be another month or so on the Signo. (oh also infite adjust on Signo is nice too)

Mama!

If we hadnt needed the Como for specific reasons, we probably would have held out for a Signo.

Our como is good in a lot of ways..

Pros: super comfortable for kid, soft fake velour stuff is seat cover that WILL NOT STAIN. Nice.

different/easier installation instructions for RF which made it not as difficult as climbing into it.

For a small baby, the head cushions/hip cushions would go a long way toward making the baby feel secure. We took the hip cushion out, as our mammoth ds did not need the hip cushions.

Serious sidewall protection, and no droopy head when he sleeps.

He loves it to bits.:love:

Cons: twisty straps, not too bad if you undo them every.single.time you get into the car, but still....for the price, I expected thicker straps.

Its installed RF in a van, and I am short. With a big child. It is quite the acrobatics to get him in over that huge seat. And then get his backside in.

No strap holder on the sides... He has to sit on the harness straps, and then I have to fish them out from under him. Not always fun in the rain/cold when my backside is hanging out of the van:whistle:

Becauase of our explicit needs, the como has been a very good seat. But I do not necessarily *enjoy* the issues we have getting him in and out.

tl01

I think I'd wait for the Signo unless you need something now. The twisty strap issue, fairly useless headwings, lack of LATCH bar, and randomly loosening installs I've heard of would make me wait since it should :whistle: only be another month or so on the Signo. (oh also infite adjust on Signo is nice too)

Where did you hear of the randomly loosening installs? We've had a Como since they first were available and haven't had the problem. Was it a LATCH or seatbelt install (with lock offs)? Should I be worried? We do have the twisty strap issue which I hope will be resolved. Lots of seats don't have LATCH bar and I know those seats are still recommended as good seats.

katiebug

somewhere on this board - sorry I can't remember & I'm not sure whether it was LATCH or seatbelt for sure, but now that you ask I *think* it was seatbelt. I don't remember it being a situation of danger, just a slight loosening that the installer was... what should I say... annoyed? by.

AmyKat

I think it was ZephyrBlue that had the loosening problem and I think it was installed with LATCH. I'm not positive on either, though.

southpawboston

i remember at least two people who claimed the installs were loosening, but i thought i remember them both being seatbelt installs?...

but i pretty much agree with the previous poster (mama!) on all the points for the como.

but there are a couple of negatives, as well:

1) the shoulder width is about an inch narrower than the signo, due to the thick EPS foam inside the shell. the signo doesn't have the foam, as the SIP is built in to the headwings.

2) the como does not install rock-solid into as many cars as the signo does. the como does NOT install rock solid in my car, but the signo does. the LATCH bar on the signo makes all the difference.

3) as nice as the covers are (and the *really* are), they're not very well ventilated. our DD2 is always warmer in her signo than she was in her scenera. in colder months, this is a plus. but in warmer months, it is a negative.

Persephone

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did go with the Como because we do need something now. DS is still in his bucket seat (at 9 months) He's starting to get to long for it.

Tell me more about twisty straps?

I'm thinking I should have just held out. Maybe I will go ahead and order the Signo and just wait?

southpawboston

the only negative i can think of right now is that we're not sure whether they are going to change the straps and buckle. right now, the existing signos (all 16 of them, lol) have a different buckle and buckle tongues than the como. while that solves the folding strap problem, the buckle has a much longer crotch strap, and i honestly don't see how a small infant can fit in it without the buckle being up at the chest. since you said your son is getting kind of tall for his infant seat, then this shouldn't be a problem. i think any child above about 15 lbs and/or long torsoed should fit okay. also, the harness doesn't go up quite as high on the como. the como's top slots are 19". with the signo's infinite adjust mechanism, highest setting is more like 18.5".

Persephone

Thanks you southpawboston. Can you tell me more about this twisty straps problem? How does it twist and how much of a pain is it?

How much would it cost to send back the como? I do the shipping insurance thing.

katiebug

How much would it cost to send back the como? I do the shipping insurance thing.

If you purchased return shipping insurance you shouldn't have to pay any extra. Just call them & they'll email you a return label at no cost - well, that's been my experience.

ZephyrBlue

I was the one that was dealing with it loosening when installed w/the seatbelt. It's finally rock-solid (with LATCH), but I had to use a rolled up towel in the seat bight (a noodle didn't work), and I had to recline the captains chair really far, install it- sit in it and pull on the LATCH straps- and then put the vehicle seat back up. I will not install that seat unless it's an emergency now, though. And I think SPB is right- the LATCH bar makes all the difference on a a RF LATCH install. I've never had a problem installing a RF MA or BV in the same seating spot, and never needed a towel, noodle, etc. That said, I'm still happy with the Como; we don't need the infinite harness adjust, and I really think there will be more headroom in the Como for an older child because of the lack of the headwings. My kids are tiny, but for a heavier, sturdy child, the room might make a big difference once they are older.

Persephone

Well I sent ahead and placed an order for the Signo. I talked to someone at the place where I ordered and they said that they have about 130 people waiting and that they are getting about 100 of each color, so as long as I get a color that not everyone else is ordering I should get one.

Also I have 30 days to return the Como if I don't like it and since I got the return shipping insurance I won't have to pay anything to return it. She told me to go ahead and try it out for like a week or so, but to make sure I didn't get it dirty or I'd have to pay a restocking fee.

I figured I can try out to the como and if I didn't like it that much I still have the signo coming, I can always cancel the signo if I needed to. They don't charge until it ships.

She also said that you never know that Signo might have little problems since not too many people out there have them yet.

Persephone

The Como was on my door step when I got home. It looks very nice and the straps look like they may not get a twisty as everyone talks. We will see.

I sat DS (9 months) in the seat and first off he did not like the side wing things. And he has a small head for his age, so there is not much room at all with them.

If I pulled them up out of his way he grinned and rubbed the seat. Very soft.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC