Question 3 under 3, Which Car?

2young

In a few months time we will have a new born and twins aged 3.

The twins are currently in the Maxi Cosi Family Fix Pearl in our Audi A3. We are looking to upgrade our car to gain more boot space and fit all 3 kids in the 2nd row.

As my wife is fairly short she does not want a car that is too big and she needs to be able to reach the pedals, which is not too easy in many cars.

We are looking to buy a second hand car for under £15k. Citroen Grand C4 Picasso seems to be suitable although we do have some concerns and availablity can be difficult.

Please can you assist and recommend a suitable alternative vehicle.

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

ADS

bubbaray

I have asked the moderators to move your question to the International forum because I am guessing that you are in the UK. Very few people here will have any knowledge of vehicles in the UK let alone what fits in your budget for a used vehicle.

Dillipop

Mazda sells the mazda5 in the UK. While you are unlikely to fit 3 seats across using the center jump seat it has, you should be able to get 2 kids in the center row with the jump seat stowed and the 3rd child in the third row. If you keep the second third row seat folded and use cargo tie downs, it should give you decent space in the rear for cargo.

Ford sells the c-max in a 6 or 7 passenger version in the UK as well. Same thing as the mazda- 2 kids in center with 3rd in the rear, second rear seat folded for cargo using cargo ties.

I only know about these because I am super jealous you guys have them. There are likely 5 passenger sedans that might work for you as well or even slightly larger minivans available too.

gigi

I'd do a Volvo XC70, or V70. Volvos are crazy expensive in the U.S. but IME very reasonable in the UK.

Last edited:

Adventuredad

C4 Picasso might work but it will be a tight fit. It has compartments underneath the floor which will need to be covered or filled. A Volvo V70 will work well and is far roomier. XC70 will also work but it's far more expensive and in my view doesn't add anything except looking less boring than a V70. A VW Passat will work well as well as a BMW 5 or larger Merc. The last two choices might be too expensive unless the car is quite old.

You might be able to get a used Kia Sorento SUV 7-seater for 15K which is a good and practical car. Their Minivan Kia Carnival is also practical and inexpensive. Nothing fancy but a good people mover.

In general three across should be avoided since it's not practical. It's a tight fit in any car and especially difficult when using Isofix since these are often located a bit more towards the middle. With seat belt installation the outer seats can be pushed slightly outwards which is helpful.

A far better solution is to use front passenger seat with deactivated airbag. Preferably for the newborn. This is the safest place in the car, always with airbag deactivated, and also more practical for overall space.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC