Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Flying with kids

Flying in a week - children are 3y 1.5m and 4y 11m. Would you take a car seat on the plan for either of them? Seat is not needed at the destination (Disney).
    A: 1/2010, 45#, 45"
    M: 10/2011, 35#, 41"
    Both riding in a Britax Frontier 90

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MommaMia View Post
    Flying in a week - children are 3y 1.5m and 4y 11m. Would you take a car seat on the plan for either of them? Seat is not needed at the destination (Disney).
    Depends on the kids, what is weight/height? The airplane seatbelt will supposedly not fit well for kids under 40 pounds or super skinny kids in general. Also do they need the restraint? Will they stay in their seats and not unbuckle themselves to run up and down the aisle? For the entire flight? Will they listen to direction about not kicking the seat in front of them?

If the answer is yes I would not bother to bring seats, depending on how long of a flight it is and how you think they will fit in the seatbelt.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Carseat Crazy

Re: Flying with kids

Quote Originally Posted by 1mommy View Post
    Depends on the kids, what is weight/height? The airplane seatbelt will supposedly not fit well for kids under 40 pounds or super skinny kids in general. Also do they need the restraint? Will they stay in their seats and not unbuckle themselves to run up and down the aisle? For the entire flight? Will they listen to direction about not kicking the seat in front of them?

If the answer is yes I would not bother to bring seats, depending on how long of a flight it is and how you think they will fit in the seatbelt.
    Flight is 2 hrs.

Kids are 32#/38" (3yr) and 40#/43" (4yr). I completely trust my older to sit still and with minimal reminders. She rode on a train earlier this year and did wonderfully.

As for the younger - sitting still... that was kind of my reason for thinking we'd need the seat. If she is in a good mood, she will do great. But, she could also be a handful. And since she hasn't learned how to unbuckle the seat, I would restrain her and not worry as much.

I was leaning toward bringing a seat for the younger but not the older.

Thanks!
    A: 1/2010, 45#, 45"
    M: 10/2011, 35#, 41"
    Both riding in a Britax Frontier 90

Moderator - CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by MommaMia View Post

I was leaning toward bringing a seat for the younger but not the older.

Thanks!
    I think that sounds like a good idea! I'd bring the lightest harnessed seat that you already have, provided that she fits in it. Have a good trip!
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

CPS Fanatic
    I wouldn't bring a seat for either.

7. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Just personal preference, but based on the situation as you've described, I would most likely bring a lightweight / easy-to-install harnessed carseat for the younger child.

FAA's benchmark for using the aircraft seatbelt (no carseat) is 40 lbs. While there is a pretty good chance that the seatbelt will still provide a decent fit for your younger one, the carseat will be more familiar and hopefully ward off any behavior issues with unbuckling, etc. I think that will make for a smoother flight for everyone involved. (Carrying carseats through the airport is a little bit of a drag, but I have never complained about it and honestly think it is not as bad as people might expect.)

Also, I know you don't need carseats for Disney, but if you bring a backless booster for the older child too (lightweight and can be brought onboard as a carry-on/personal item), then you will all be covered. That will give you much more flexibility in case there is some unexpected event.... for example if you need to take a taxi off-property, or your return flight is diverted to another airport or there is some other transport snafu. I realize that those scenarios are unlikely, so this is clearly not necessary, but it is always nice to have more options.