I just bought a Radian with the old stickers...C

Can I just get the company to send me new stickers to place on it, to reflect the new Canadian upper limit for ff of 65 lbs? We got it at our local Canadian Tire this morning (and we need to get more, because we're going to be doing 3 seats across by next year this time).

Honestly, for my dd, it may not matter. She's 44" right now and just topped 42 lbs after being 38 for a long time, so I imagine that she'll outgrow this seat in height before she gets to 48 lbs anyway. But it still seems like we should be able to use this seat to 65 lbs.

Is there a toll free number for Sunshine Kids? Or an email address?

ADS

Leila

What's the DOM of the seat? I'm pretty sure the change wasn't retroactive, so they won't send out stickers for it.

8/06 is what the seat says. My dh will grumble and roll his eyes if I suggest we take it back. It was just so much cheaper than other places we looked.
We got it for $199, and another store is selling the new ones for $259.

daycaremom2002

If you will be buying more seats for younger siblings later, then maybe you can just use the seat the way it is labeled for now. Then when you buy a new seat, it will have the new label on it and you can move your oldest to the new seat and a younger child to this seat. It does stink that they won't make change retroactive when they didn't change the seat in any way.

canadianmom2three

They will not issue new stickers (at least as far as I was told, if you find otherwise I would be VERY interested to know!!!) After promising me when I bought the seat that they WOULD issue retroactive stickers, they had to go back on that. They told me that TC would not allow them to do so due to the risk of 'potential missuse'...
That said, DS is 50lbs now, and still riding in the seat, 48lb sticker or not;)so I would LOVE to get a new sticker!! FWIW I always try to talk with russ@skjp.com he's a great guy, and his customer service waaaaay tops anyone you get on the phone

BudgieStew

They will not issue stickers...

Just to throw this out there. :whistle:Its a DOM 08/06. Check if its a short strapped one. If it is, contact SKJP and they will replace it and chances are it will be a new 65 lb one.You will have to provide proof and they are sometimes slow to send out the replacement but it will happen.

My 08/06 from Canadian Tire was one of the short strapped ones but they sent me a regular 48 lb one. If I had waited a bit to contact them I am sure I would have got a 65 lb one. :rolleyes:

Or to avoid the hassle return it to CT and order the 65 lb one from these places with free shipping

http://www.tummiestotots.com/

or

http://www.dearbornbaby.com/home.php?cat=53

How do I check if it has a short strap?

Those links are great, btw. Thanks! I know where I'll buy the other seats. I don't see us being able to take this one back, it was already involved in a potty accident.

DH had also suggested that the smallest child could use this seat. I realized I was mistaken about the height as well - I thought it went to 49", but I see on the side it's actually 47".

canadianmom2three

You can tell if it has short straps by loosening them all the way that you possibly can. Provided they are on the top slot, the short strapped ones will not even have enough strap length to dangle over the edge of the seat shell. The regular ones have enough length to dangle loosely about 6" out from the seat shell...there used to be a great comparison pic somewhere on here!!

About the height limit, it is really just a guideline...it is more dependent on torso height than overall height. A short torso child will fit in the seat even past 49"...my DD at 51" still fit in the seat, but my DS at 47" is right at the top slots...SK actually allows the seat to be used above the top slot, but not everyone, including the kids! is actually comfortable doing that...

Well, it's hard to tell right now because the cover is off right now, drying on the clothesrack, but there's not much slack when the buckles are done up (at the highest slot, with the bottom part stretched to the crotch buckle) - maybe a couple inches at the spot where you pull it out. It's hard to tell without the padding in.
I don't know what you mean by "not even have enough strap length to dangle over the edge of the seat shell"

So who would I contact about this if I have the problem?

That picture does help, it looks like the straps are too short. Of course the flap isn't on it right now, but when the full amount of strap is out, the buckle just barely reaches the last slot in the bottom of the seat. I'll check for sure when I have the cover back on.
So do I contact the company itself, the distributor, or the store?

BudgieStew

Contact SKJP..go to their CA website.
Click contact us and let them know you think you may have a short strapped one. Provide the DOM and Serial number and they will ask for further details if it falls that batch.

HTH

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ok, I got the cover on, and the straps match that picture for sure.

What next?

I'd email russ@skjp.com and tell him you've heard some seats have straps that are too short and you think your seat may be affected.

He'll ask for some specific info including a picture showing your seat with the required info in it, and then will tell you if your seat is affected or not.

I had an Aug 06 DOM that was short strapped and it was replaced in August (07) when I purchased it. The replacement I received was the 65lb granite with a July 07 DOM. It'll depend on what's left in their warehouse for stock, but I think that they only have 65lb seats left for shipping from the distributor now. (CT imported their seats independently & have a stockpile in their distribution center they're going through. Most have older DOM like Aug & Oct 06 and all have the 48lb weight limit. CT likely won't be carrying the Radian once the 48lb seats are gone - at least that's the impression I got from PJM distributions - the Canadian distributor.)

Well, I've been emailing back and forth with them all week, trying to find the right numbers and send photos, and now I still need to send another photo, and I have been told I will be sent just a replacement harness. But I recall reading in the manual that you never remove the harness, so how can they be sure it will be reinstalled safely?
I'm disappointed I won't be receiving a new seat. And as far as I understand there's also a recall involving the safe-link load limiting device as well, which I didn't mention since I thought it would be a whole new seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You will get a new seat, it's their little "surprise". I'm waiting for my replacement too:)

:yeahthat:

I made a nice polite stink with my concern about a harness replacement kit for a seat that wasn't supposed to have the harness replaced. :eek: Russ called me to reassure me, said he'd been sending it as a surprise. I felt rather bad for ruining it. :whistle:

I was still surprised though - my seat arrived with a July 07 DOM and 65lb weight limit. Your replacement seat will come with the new safe stop, so that's nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

mommy_quigg

You're right. If you go to their website, to the Radian's page, someone asked when they will be getting the new 65 lbs Radians and the reply was that they will be discontinuing the Radian after their current stock is sold out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC