Harness for 5 year old?

Rauwolfia

I'm trying to see if 3 across will work in my 2005 Ford Escape when we have our 3rd child this summer.

DD is almost 5 years old, 43" and 49lbs. Riding in Safety First Air HBB.
DSL is 2.5 years old, height?? and 27lbs. Riding FF in Evenflo Triumph.

Planning on either B-Safe or Keyfit for baby, and will move DS to a Radian. I'm thinking of switching DD to a harness seat to avoid trying to cram my hand for buckling multiple times a day!

Any suggestions for a harness seat for three across? I heard the Radian makes a terrible booster, and I'm concerned Frontier85 is too wide... I'm in Canada, and the Harmony Defender 360 isn't available here... Help!

ADS

Alison's Mom

Smart of you to put your oldest back into a harness for the three across. I think cramming my hand in there would drive me crazy also! Also, some children who are 4 and 5 are better off in a harnessed seat because they sometimes forget the rule about sitting properly, or fall out of position when asleep. The general recommendation is 5.5 or 6 for children to go into a booster full time, although of course it depends on the child's maturity.

You're probably right that the Frontier will be too wide, and that a Radian would be a good choice for either or both of your older children. You could consider a second one, or look at the Clek Fllo/Foonf (pricey) or Evenflo Sureride (inexpensive) which are both narrow seats with good high harness slots.

Both the Keyfit and B Safe are narrow and could work.

If you find puzzling the three seats easier with two rear facing seats, your toddler could go back to rear facing in a variety of seats, including the ones mentioned above. The added bonus is he would be even better protected in the event of a crash.

If you are able, I would find a store that carries all these seats to try installing the demo models in your car before buying them.

Also, I heard today that the Harmony Defender is in the process of being sold in Canada - it's up on the Walmart site with a price, but still unavailable. If you have until summer, it might be an option.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Can you measure your oldest's torso height? Measure seated against a wall from floor(bum) to the top of the shoulders. You may be able to keep using the triumph and put a Radian beside it with your oldest in it.

Also consider the Snugride 30 for a narrow infant seat.

And you will most likely need to install all of the seats with seat belts to utilize all the space side to side as the lower anchors tend to move the seats towards the centre.

Olga

Also, I heard today that the Harmony Defender is in the process of being sold in Canada - it's up on the Walmart site with a price, but still unavailable. If you have until summer, it might be an option.

Seriously? You just blew my mind. I've been hoping for this as my DD has just (today!) turned FF and I'd love a narrow combination seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC