Question 3 across 2014 CRV

emmal

We will need to install 3 across in our 2014 CRV. We have been surprised by twins!

My son (age 5 - 37 pounds), is currently in a FF in a True Fit. We live in Ontario, so he has to be in a FF car seat until 40 pounds (we hope he can put on weight by March, when the twins are due). His current seat expires in Summer 2015.

We have looked into boosters are like the look of high back boosters with a 5 point harness. He is thin - if we weren't having twins, we'd keep FF as long as possible as we feel 5-point harnesses are safer and fit his chest correctly.

We want to put him in the middle, the twins RF.

(A larger vehicle/mini-van is out of the question financially right now).

So, suggestions?
1) In my son does not reach 40 pounds - 2 RF and 1 FF
2) If/when he reaches 40 pounds - 2 RF, 1 booster
Thanks

ADS

SnoGurl

It may be easier to keep your son in a 5-point harness-- it can be sticky trying to buckle a booster in a 3-across situation. I don't have any direct experience with your car, but generically speaking, here's some to try:

If you can hold out a bit, the Harmony Defender is supposed to be coming to Canada in January. It is frequently recommended in the US for three across situation's because of it's narrowness.

Are you looking for infant seats for the twins? Some to look at that tend to be fairly narrow and fit infants well are the Chicco Keyfit, the Graco SnugRide30, Cosco Comfy Carry Elite. The Comfy Carry Elite is shorter lasting, but frequently goes on sale at FutureShop/Best Buy for about $50, so is a great buy-- especially when you need two!

If you are set on moving your son to a booster once he reaches 40lbs, you could try the Graco TurboBooster or the Britax Parkway, they tend to be fairly narrow in the right places.

Alison's Mom

Hi there - I have a previous generation CRV and I haven't seen the backseat of the new one so don't know how different it is. However, I'm wondering what your 5yo's seated shoulder height is? If his torso is on the shorter side, and he might have a couple of years until he outgrows one of the narrower convertibles (infant/child seats), it might be worth looking into a Radian or Foonf/Fllo. Or you could consider the Radian for the twins also. The Foonf/Fllo starts at 14 pounds so doesn't work for newborns but the Radian could.

I agree with SnoGurl that buckling up 5pt harnesses in tight spaces is much easier than boosters, so would go that route as long as possible. The TrueFit is pretty wide/big so unlikely to fit three across with that in the mix.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC