Question Diono cambria?

FrauDrA

Hi everyone, I haven't been here in ages! Quick thoughts on the Diono Cambria? Background: My almost-five year old is at the top slot in his Britax Boulevard. (It seems like it should go higher, but won't.) My just-turned-eight year old rides in a Frontier XT, as a booster. I've been thinking of putting my younger kid in the Frontier (harnessed, of course) and getting another booster for my oldest. I want a booster that anchors with LUAS so we don't have to remember to use the seatbelt to secure it, and he's still happy with a HBB. Little guy is 106.5 cm and 18.0 kg Big guy is 131.5cm and 25.0 kg I'm thinking Cambria because of the sale at Snugglebugz :) Driving in a 2012 Volvo XC70. Thank you! Melanie

ETA: I guess the main question is this: is the Cambria a good fit for a tall and skinny kid?

Last edited:
ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I haven't tried my own tall and skinny kid in the new style of Parkway, and I think that the Peg one is on the shorter side. I think the Parkway is decent though.

What are your head restraints like in that vehicle? Fixed and forward-leaning? Adjustable? Removable? The Cambria and Peg requires in-vehicle head support, the Parkway does not. Have you considered an Oobr? And how tall is tall, what sort of seated height are we talking about?

FrauDrA

I thought I'd replied, but apparently forgot to hit "send" :-/

Our vehicle's head restraints are fixed and lean forward slightly. Not a problem so far with the Frontier.

Seated shoulder height of the eight year old is about 46cm, the five year old is around 35.5cm. (What is the maximum shoulder slot on the G2 Boulevard? I'm surprised he seems to be outgrowing it already.)

Thanks!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I thought I'd replied, but apparently forgot to hit "send" :-/

Our vehicle's head restraints are fixed and lean forward slightly. Not a problem so far with the Frontier.

Seated shoulder height of the eight year old is about 46cm, the five year old is around 35.5cm. (What is the maximum shoulder slot on the G2 Boulevard? I'm surprised he seems to be outgrowing it already.)

Thanks!

So I think in Imperial when it comes to car seats :D so that means about 18" of seated height for the older child.

The highest shoulder belt guide position of the Peg is elusive and not on the spreadsheets of specs, but I recall it being on the shorter side.

The Parkway says 21.5" for example.

The head restraints leaning forward could be an issue with some seats. If the Cambria is anything like the Monterey even the slightest tilt creates too much of a gap behind the booster body. You're really going to have to try them out I think.

As for the Boulevard I find that Britax seats often lose usable harness height once installed - the specs say about 16.5" but that can easily change depending on the shape of your child and how the seat is installed (how reclined it naturally is on the vehicle seat).

FrauDrA

So I think in Imperial when it comes to car seats :D so that means about 18" of seated height for the older child. The highest shoulder belt guide position of the Peg is elusive and not on the spreadsheets of specs, but I recall it being on the shorter side. The Parkway says 21.5" for example. The head restraints leaning forward could be an issue with some seats. If the Cambria is anything like the Monterey even the slightest tilt creates too much of a gap behind the booster body. You're really going to have to try them out I think. As for the Boulevard I find that Britax seats often lose usable harness height once installed - the specs say about 16.5" but that can easily change depending on the shape of your child and how the seat is installed (how reclined it naturally is on the vehicle seat).

I think it was 18" and 14" :)

So of those boosters, would you recommend the Parkway as a starting point for tall skinny kid in a Volvo? Obviously I'll try him in the seat before committing, and would try in the car too if possible. I realised you had mentioned the Oobr too; I'm slightly hesitant because of the price, but if it is the best fit I'm willing to spend the money. I also have a gift card for BRU, so that helps with the budget :) He uses a HBTB in his grandparents' car, but I want a seat that attaches to UAS for our car because he is in/out so much more than in their car. (Having to secure it with the belt isn't a big deal for how often he is in their car, but it would be a pain in ours.)

Hmm, maybe I should fiddle with the tilt of the Boulevard to see how that affects the fit!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC