2008 Toyota 4-runner, needing to fit 3 seats (merged thread)

Jessicapoff

I am really in a bind here and lost on what kind of car seat to get that will work for my child. She is 4 years old (just turned 4) and she is around 38 pounds and she is 45 inches tall. I am told the car seat I have her in now she has grown out of it via height. She has the Cosco Highback Booster. I am told that the straps need to go above her shoulders and in her case they are behind her shoulder blades. I am also told that currently until she reaches a certain weight she can not go into the belt position seats, that she has to stay in the 5 point harness for a little while longer. The problem is I am having a hard time finding a seat for her that is five point harness that is going to be tall enough for her. I can not spend a lot of money for a seat that she only needs to a little bit longer. Not just that I am in a dilema. I have a third baby on the way and we just bought a new vehicle right before I found out I was expecting. So my 1 year old son is in a Britax Marathon which we spent a lot of money o but now we need to figure out measurements on an infant carrier and my daughter's new seat where they will all fit safely. Can anyone think of anything that would work that has a pretty small width and where I can get the seat at? Most places I have to order it and I am afraid to do that not liking the seat when it comes.

ADS

Kegracin

I have no idea what car seat to get

What seat did she out grow? That will help us figure out which seats will work for you. Eta apparently I can't read today [emoji6]

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Re: I have no idea what car seat to get

Welcome to car-seat.org. It would be helpful if you would share your vehicle information (manufacturer, model and model year) with us since it's possible it's a model other members have installed 3 carseats in and could tailor advice better for you.

What seat did she out grow? That will help us figure out which seats will work for you.

I believe it was the Cosco Highback booster she mentioned that's outgrown by height.

Jessicapoff

Welcome to car-seat.org. It would be helpful if you would share your vehicle information (manufacturer, model and model year) with us since it's possible it's a model other members have installed 3 carseats in and could tailor advice better for you.

I believe it was the Cosco Highback booster she mentioned that's outgrown by height.

We bought a 2008 Toyota 4Runner Urban Limited and I know from specifications online the backseat is 55.4 inches across. The britax Maraton my son is in is 18.5 wide.

Jessicapoff

2008 Toyota 4-runner, needing to fit 3 seats

I have a 08 Toyota 4runner and I need to figure out what seats to get to fit all in the back seat. The seat is about 55.4 inches wide. My son already has a car seat the Britax Marathon and it is 18.5 inches wide. I need an infant carrier and I am currently looking for my 4 year old daughter a car seat but having a time trying to find a 5 point harness that is tall enough since she is tall for her age but skinny. Does anyone have any recommendations for this type of car?

aeormsby

She may be almost 40lb but 4yo's are usually not mature enough to sit properly in a HBB, most kids aren't ready for that until they're around 6yo.

Knowing what vehicle you have will help a lot with suggesting a new seat. Mainly, do you need to fit all 3 kids in the same row or do you have a minivan/3-row SUV? There are plenty of seats that have taller harnesses than what she's outgrown. One to look at (nice and tall, narrow if space is an issue and lower priced) is the Harmony Defender. http://www.walmart.com/ip/22796374?...31626232&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78292205912&veh=sem

Dillipop

Try your 4 year old out in the marathon- if she outgrew the cosco, she likely still fits in the marathon. The top slots are 3-4 inches higher, I think.

Or the evenflo sureride is about $100, less on sale- Though a convertible, it has super high harness slots and should fit your oldest for quite some time. I think it is relatively narrow as well. It would pass down well to the new baby when the baby is ready to move to a convertible in a year or 2.

I don't know which infant seats are narrow but I know that sometimes installing an infant seat without the base makes more room in a backseat. Something to consider when the time comes.

Jessicapoff

Try your 4 year old out in the marathon- if she outgrew the cosco, she likely still fits in the marathon. The top slots are 3-4 inches higher, I think.

Or the evenflo sureride is about $100, less on sale- Though a convertible, it has super high harness slots and should fit your oldest for quite some time. I think it is relatively narrow as well. It would pass down well to the new baby when the baby is ready to move to a convertible in a year or 2.

I don't know which infant seats are narrow but I know that sometimes installing an infant seat without the base makes more room in a backseat. Something to consider when the time comes.

We first tried the marathon out for her just to see in case but she was still to big for it. Secondly we had bought that for my son who gets extremely car sick and screams bloody murder in car seats. This is the third seat we have tried for him and he seems to like this one pretty good. I think it reclines back for him some. So we can't give that seat up or take it away from him for a while til he grows out of this sickness or screaming stage.

Kegracin

We first tried the marathon out for her just to see in case but she was still to big for it. Secondly we had bought that for my son who gets extremely car sick and screams bloody murder in car seats. This is the third seat we have tried for him and he seems to like this one pretty good. I think it reclines back for him some. So we can't give that seat up or take it away from him for a while til he grows out of this sickness or screaming stage.

What size top does your dd wear? Im also thinking if you can keep her harnessed longer the easier it will be for you three across with a booster are not normally fun because you have to buckle that booster in each time.

And I wanted to say my ds was partial to his marathon as well.

1mommy

I would look into the Harmony Defender (currently around $85 from Walmart) It is a combination seat which means it will turn into a booster down the road once your 4 year old is ready. If you don't mind buying her a convertible seat now (will rear face) and put your DD in in FF then when the baby outgrows the infant seat you can buy your DD a dedicated booster (which are pretty cheap). But as others have mentioned it may be best to keep her harnessed as long as possible because buckling a booster can be a big pain in 3 across involving scrapped and bloody knuckels and accidently unbuckling a harnesed seat next to it.

Convertibles to look into are the Evenflo SureRide (if you have a kohls card you can get it for $70 plus tax with a 30% off coupon) or buy the pink one at Walmart for $90. Or the Safety First Guide 65. Note that the Guide can be a pain to install rear-facing and some children especially older bigger ones do not like the way the headrest pushes their heads forward, so try it out in the store before you buy if possible. You can buy the Guide 65 for around $80.

Jessicapoff

What size top does your dd wear? Im also thinking if you can keep her harnessed longer the easier it will be for you three across with a booster are not normally fun because you have to buckle that booster in each time.

And I wanted to say my ds was partial to his marathon as well.

Depending on the shirt 5 to 6 most of the time size 6 though

Kegracin

Okay so she should fit in the harmony defender or the sureride. I've puzzled a defender and a marathon before.

Did you still have an infant seat or do you need one of those as well?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC