New to me car/need seat suggestions

seb3244

So the 2005 suburban we looked at today was a piece if you know what! & the 2003 was super clean & well kept so we went with the 2003 with 115k miles! So excited

I need my nieces age 4.5 and almost 7 in ff 5 point harnesses. Just to be clear I can have 2 top tethers on the one TA in the 3rd row right? Also please suggest an in expensive 5 point harness seat that can eventually be a high back booster. I am going to have to buy 2 so any coupons or discounts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

ADS

seb3244

No, you can't attach two top tethers to the same tether anchor. You will need to put one of your nieces in the second row.

Thank you for replying. I thought in the car seat tech book (someone posted a pic on my last thread) that it said the driver side 3rd row and middle 3rd row seats shared a TA.

Hmmm now I'll have to go back and look at it.

I will have the 2nd row passenger seat folded down for my two nieces to get in the 3rd row.

I wonder if maybe I could out my almost 7 yr old niece in a high back booster then my 4.5yr old need in the 5point using the only TA in the 3rd row.

NVMBR02

Thank you for replying. I thought in the car seat tech book (someone posted a pic on my last thread) that it said the driver side 3rd row and middle 3rd row seats shared a TA. Hmmm now I'll have to go back and look at it.
What they meant by sharing is that either seating position can use the TA, not that two seats can use it at the same time.

A booster for the older child is likely a good option, as is putting one of them in the second row and having the child in the third row just climb over the seat.

seb3244

What they meant by sharing is that either seating position can use the TA, not that two seats can use it at the same time. A booster for the older child is likely a good option, as is putting one of them in the second row and having the child in the third row just climb over the seat.

Thanks for clarifying! Now I need seat suggestions for a 5point harness and a high back booster.

katymyers

I would look for a Harmony Defender as a combination seat for the younger one and an Evenflo Amp or Graco Turbobooster for the older one. And you should also know that you can't drive with any of the second row seats tumbled forward in a Suburban, the seats do not 'lock' in that position so you have to put them upright while the car is in motion.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Congrats on your new wheels! :dance: Linking back to your other related Suburban thread with the LATCH manuals details for Chevy Suburban models for reference at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=271518, we need to clarify the third row top tethering further. 2003-2006 Suburban models like yours have a third row center top tether anchor intended for use for a FF install in the third row center only. There is no third row outboard top tether usability allowed at all in the 2003-2006 models, not even when the third row center top tether anchor is unused for a center install.

It's in the 2007-2013 Suburbans with third row bench vehicle seats where you can use the third row center's top tether anchor for a third row driver's side FF install, but as clarified earlier upthread, the 2007-2013 third row bench's center top tether anchor can't be used for both the third row center and the driver's side simultaneously, just the third row center or driver's side only. This third row driver's side usability is still moot for 2003-2006 models, though, which have the third row center top tether anchor meant only for use for installs in the third row center.

seb3244

I would look for a Harmony Defender as a combination seat for the younger one and an Evenflo Amp or Graco Turbobooster for the older one. And you should also know that you can't drive with any of the second row seats tumbled forward in a Suburban, the seats do not 'lock' in that position so you have to put them upright while the car is in motion.

These all look nice does evenflo make the harmony defender? Also I am really shocked that the evenflo amp looks as nice as it does because I always thought that evenflo products and infant car seats especially look like a piece of crap.

The harmony defender doesn't have much in the way of side walls so that is a little disappointing.

Thanks!

seb3244

Congrats on your new wheels! :dance: Linking back to your other related Suburban thread with the LATCH manuals details for Chevy Suburban models for reference at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=271518, we need to clarify the third row top tethering further. 2003-2006 Suburban models like yours have a third row center top tether anchor intended for use for a FF install in the third row center only. There is no third row outboard top tether usability allowed at all in the 2003-2006 models, not even when the third row center top tether anchor is unused for a center install. It's in the 2007-2013 Suburbans with third row bench vehicle seats where you can use the third row center's top tether anchor for a third row driver's side FF install, but as clarified earlier upthread, the 2007-2013 third row bench's center top tether anchor can't be used for both the third row center and the driver's side simultaneously, just the third row center or driver's side only. This third row driver's side usability is still moot for 2003-2006 models, though, which have the third row center top tether anchor meant only for use for installs in the third row center.

Thanks for clarifying!
This is hypothetical but what if I did need 3 forward facing seats in my vehicle is there really only 2 TA's ?! So what if I needed more then what do I do.

If I call chevy will they be willing to put in more? I really hope so.

Jeanum

Staff member
While it has 2 full sets of LATCH in the second row (lower LATCH anchors plus a top tether anchor on the second row passenger side and center if it's a second row bench, or on each second row outboard captain's chairs if it has second row captain's chairs), you do have more than 2 top tether anchors total to work with because there are some vehicle seating positions without lower LATCH anchors that are equipped with a top tether anchor only. :) Your Suburban has a grand total of either 3 or 4 top tether anchors depending on the type of seating in its second row. If it has a second row bench, then you have 3 top tether anchors in the second row, 1 top tether anchor for each second row seating position, plus 1 top tether anchor in the third row center, for a grand total of 4 top tether anchors in the vehicle. If you have second row captain's chairs, then you have 2 top tether anchors in the second row plus the top tether anchor in the third row center, for a total of 3 top tether anchors. You'll need to install FF harnessed seats in any second row vehicle seat and/or in the third row center to utilize the top tether.

GM doesn't have a retrofit for adding additional top tether anchors in its Chevy/GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile models that are already factory equipped with some top tether anchors, unfortunately.

seb3244

While it has 2 full sets of LATCH in the second row (lower LATCH anchors plus a top tether anchor on the second row passenger side and center if it's a second row bench, or on each second row outboard captain's chairs if it has second row captain's chairs), you do have more than 2 top tether anchors total to work with because there are some vehicle seating positions without lower LATCH anchors that are equipped with a top tether anchor only. :) Your Suburban has a grand total of either 3 or 4 top tether anchors depending on the type of seating in its second row. If it has a second row bench, then you have 3 top tether anchors in the second row, 1 top tether anchor for each second row seating position, plus 1 top tether anchor in the third row center, for a grand total of 4 top tether anchors in the vehicle. If you have second row captain's chairs, then you have 2 top tether anchors in the second row plus the top tether anchor in the third row center, for a total of 3 top tether anchors. You'll need to install FF harnessed seats in any second row vehicle seat and/or in the third row center to utilize the top tether. GM doesn't have a retrofit for adding additional top tether anchors in its Chevy/GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile models that are already factory equipped with some top tether anchors, unfortunately.

Ok cool I I have all bench rows so that means 3in the 2nd row and 1 in the 3rd yay!!

seb3244

While it has 2 full sets of LATCH in the second row (lower LATCH anchors plus a top tether anchor on the second row passenger side and center if it's a second row bench, or on each second row outboard captain's chairs if it has second row captain's chairs), you do have more than 2 top tether anchors total to work with because there are some vehicle seating positions without lower LATCH anchors that are equipped with a top tether anchor only. :) Your Suburban has a grand total of either 3 or 4 top tether anchors depending on the type of seating in its second row. If it has a second row bench, then you have 3 top tether anchors in the second row, 1 top tether anchor for each second row seating position, plus 1 top tether anchor in the third row center, for a grand total of 4 top tether anchors in the vehicle. If you have second row captain's chairs, then you have 2 top tether anchors in the second row plus the top tether anchor in the third row center, for a total of 3 top tether anchors. You'll need to install FF harnessed seats in any second row vehicle seat and/or in the third row center to utilize the top tether. GM doesn't have a retrofit for adding additional top tether anchors in its Chevy/GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile models that are already factory equipped with some top tether anchors, unfortunately.

Knowing all this can I use the center top tether that is in the in the 3rd row for an outboard seat?

Also here is what I have full time in my 2003 chevy suburban
My 5month old dd2 center seat 2nd row in a britax b safe in a latched base.
2.33yr old dd1 rf in a britax advocate behind driver installed with seat belt.
I would like to keep them this way because I feel the driver side of the vehicle is the safest because of left-hand turns making the right side of the vehicle not a safe.

I have my 2 nieces a few times a week both harnessed age 7 riding in a graco nataulis, age 4.5 -chico nextfit, both need top tether.

I can't put one of them on the second row because then it makes it really hard to get the b safe infant in and out and also I have to slide that seat forward so that they can get back in the back of the vehicle to get in the 3rd row. Is there anyway to get two seats that need to be top tethered in the third row? Should I call the dealer and have them put another top tether anchor in?

Thanks

Jeanum

Staff member
Unfortunately, you're not allowed to use the third row center top tether anchor for a third row outboard installation - there isn't any note indicating it's allowable in the LATCH manual. You cannot double up and use that third row center top tether anchor for more than 1 carseat installation, either. As posted earlier upthread, GM doesn't have a retrofit for adding additional top tether anchors for vehicle seating positions that aren't already factory equipped.:eek: FWIW, either side of the vehicle is statistically the same in terms of side impact crash frequencies.

mom of six

You only have a lap belt in the center of the 3rd row so that position is best for a harnessed car seat. How about the 4.5 YO in a Harmony Defender in the center of the 3rd row and the 7 year old in a high back booster on the passenger side of the 3rd row.

The Harmony Defender is made by Harmony. It is available at Walmart.com ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Defender-360-3-in-1-Convertible-Car-Seat/22796374 ) and burlington coat facotry's website (babydepot.com) ( http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.co...4950.aspx?scrolli=100&search=hARMONY+DEFENDER )

seb3244

You only have a lap belt in the center of the 3rd row so that position is best for a harnessed car seat. How about the 4.5 YO in a Harmony Defender in the center of the 3rd row and the 7 year old in a high back booster on the passenger side of the 3rd row. The Harmony Defender is made by Harmony. It is available at Walmart.com ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Defender-360-3-in-1-Convertible-Car-Seat/22796374 ) and burlington coat facotry's website (babydepot.com) ( http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Baby-Gear/Car-Seats/Defender-360-Car-Seat-Raspberry-311424950.aspx?scrolli=100&search=hARMONY+DEFENDER )
The 7yr old can't be trusted to ride correctly 100% of the time though. She is good about 90% of the time. Her mom and I would like to keep her harnessed until she can't be anymore.

katymyers

Why not move the B Safe outboard and put one of your nieces in the center? Or put your older daughter in the third row and put one of your nieces in that spot? There are lots of possible solutions to make your set up work safely for everyone. There's absolutely no reason for you to need to use a seat without a top tether in your situation.

sunnydayz

Why not move the B Safe outboard and put one of your nieces in the center? Or put your older daughter in the third row and put one of your nieces in that spot? There are lots of possible solutions to make your set up work safely for everyone. There's absolutely no reason for you to need to use a seat without a top tether in your situation.

I agree. I would put a neurotypical 7 year-old in a hbb long before I would put them in an untethered harnessed seat.

seb3244

I have to buckle in my dd1 who is rear facing so I can't put her in the 3rd row. And also because dd2 is still an infant I really want her in the center since it is safest. with both my girls right behind me I can reach them and hand them a toy and stuff.

seb3244

I agree. I would put a neurotypical 7 year-old in a hbb long before I would put them in an untethered harnessed seat.

Ok this is good to know. I wonder if I could get the infant bucket in the center of the 2nd row past a high backed booster. They are much smaller than a convertible car seat. Now if I could just get her mom to agree to the booster.

katymyers

I have to buckle in my dd1 who is rear facing so I can't put her in the 3rd row. And also because dd2 is still an infant I really want her in the center since it is safest. with both my girls right behind me I can reach them and hand them a toy and stuff.

I've had rear facers in my third row SINCE I've had a third row. Buckle over the back of the seat. Also, since just being rear facing is the best possible protection period, especially side impact protection, having your infant outboard is very safe. In fact, since the forward facers are the most at risk anyway the best possible place for them is the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC