Question Need 3 BOOSTERs to fit PRIUS or PRIUS V

LindaKM

We have a 2011 Prius and are looking for 3 BOOSTER seats to fit across the back. I've seen a lot of discussion about 3 across car seats, but I'm looking for advice on Boosters with enough space for the kids to reach the buckles. We currently have 3 Radians that fit great, but kids are getting bigger and outgrowing them. We've already put them in boosters in our Sienna and want to convert their seats in the Prius, too. We are considering upgrading to the Prius V which is a few inches wider if we can't find a solution for the Prius. Advice for either car is appreciated! Open to "puzzling" ideas with various brands as well. Thanks in advance!
(BTW, we've already tried next to a center Radian, the Maxi-Cosi Rodi AP - which has arms and was very hard to buckle; and the Maxi-Cosi Rodifix which the bottom fit, but the side wings were too wide next to the Radian)

ADS

aeormsby

How old and big are the kids? And how often to they ride in this vehicle?

My suggestions may change based on that info.

LindaKM

They do ride in the car quite a bit, so we need something for a more permanent solution. The kids are all over 40 lbs - 5yo/46"; 7yo/48"; and 9yo/51". The 9yo is fine in a backless booster, but we prefer a highback that converts to a backless for the younger two. We want booster options until they all hit 57". Thanks for any advice!

aeormsby

For the younger 2 I'd look at the Britax Parkway, Harmony V6, or maybe the Graco Turbobooster for the youngest (I doubt it would last long as a HBB for your 7yo, the other 2 adjust taller).

Then for your oldest a Harmony Youth booster, Cosco Topside, Bubble bum or the Incognito. The narrowest option is the Bubble bum, but some kids find it not so comfortable and it is rather short so if his feet don't have support his legs would probably get tired quickly. All of these are NBB's. And I'd put him in the center.

I'm not sure how the width compares but I've had a Bubblebum in the center of our Mazda3 with Literiders (Harmony Youth Boosters) on the sides and there was a little scooting needed to buckle but it wasn't too bad. I think keeping something very low or narrow in the center will be the biggest help (part of why I like the Harmony boosters, they tend to be super narrow at the back which makes it easier to get to the buckle).

ETA - the other reason I really liked the bubble bum in the center is because the space between the buckles was so tight in that spot - only about 8-10" so any other booster was much wider than the buckles.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the response. We've actually tried the Britax and a Graco Affix next to the Radian and they were too wide, but we've not thought about putting our older one in the middle. That combo might work with a smaller seat. I'm not a fan of the bubblebum, but it might be all we can find!
Any other recommendations from anybody else? Thank you!

autumnlily

We have a 2012 standard Prius with 3 booster seats.

Highback Evenflo big kid (with flip up arm rests), bubblebum, and another evenflo hb. It's tight but workable. I think a set of turbo boosters would work in place of the evenflo seats but I really like that the evenflo arms flip up.

I find we have to help the kids scooch the seats over to buckle and then scooch them back in place.

LindaKM

Thank you. I didn't know that Evenflo made ones with the arms that flip up. That will help out a lot! Still not comfortable with a Bubblebum, but I'll try it!

kam1011

Just make sure you have a headrest in the center if that's where you're putting the no-back booster. Otherwise, your other two kids would be safer there.

cookie123

I've used the Bubble Bum in the center of my 2011 Prius a few times. Matthew is 6.5 and has trouble with it. There's enough of a hump I think it feels unstable. I would try the Incognito if anyone weighs enough. I forget the weight minimum. Would your oldest 5 step in the middle? My 10 year old grandson does. It makes a huge difference.

5 Step Test:

http://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

LindaKM

So, we tried the Cosco Topside next to the current Radian, which I believe has an even narrower base than the Harmony or Evenflo's. It was too tight in the middle seat and sort of works on the outside, but we need to scoot it out and then back in because it is very hard to buckle with the arm rests in the way. We also tried the Maxi-Cosi next to the Topside to 'puzzle' (in both the middle and side), but it was still difficult for our oldest to buckle. Looks like we'll be looking for a bigger car soon. We need the kids to be able to buckle themselves easily and I think this will always be a problem in the Prius as they get bigger.

cookie123

When one can 5 step it helps immensely. The other 2 don't have issues buckling. We used 2 of the Cosco Literiders from Walmart outboard then the 5 stepper in the middle. Also, A small chunk of pool noodle around the buckle stalk to hold the buckles out also helps.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
If your 9 yr old is over 60 lbs, I 2nd (or 3rd?) trying the Safety 1st Incognito. I wanted to love the Bubblebum, but my 9 yr old hated it because there wasn't enough support for his legs and it felt unstable. He was in tears when he had to ride in it for 3 miles. The Incognito fits him so much better and has worked in tight spaces when we've needed it to.

LindaKM

Forgive me, I don't know all the acronyms people use on this threat! What is "5 step"? The pool noodle trick might help as the seat belts seem to get pushed into the seats easily. Thanks! Still unsure about the Incognito. Our 9 year old is over 60 pounds, but short (only ~51"), so he needs more height than it looks like the Incognito gives. All the reviews I read on it seemed to be for taller kids. Still pondering what to do......

aeormsby

Forgive me, I don't know all the acronyms people use on this threat! What is "5 step"? The pool noodle trick might help as the seat belts seem to get pushed into the seats easily. Thanks! Still unsure about the Incognito. Our 9 year old is over 60 pounds, but short (only ~51"), so he needs more height than it looks like the Incognito gives. All the reviews I read on it seemed to be for taller kids. Still pondering what to do......

The 5-step test is to tell when a child fits in a seat without a booster: http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm It can vary incredibly between different vehicles and different seating positions in a vehicle (for example, my 8yo actually fits correctly in the 3rd row passenger side of our Outlook, but not any other spots including the driver's side of that same row).

I would definitely try the incognito, height wouldn't be a concern unless his legs are so short that he ends up slouching in it. It's so low that it will help a lot with being able to get at all the buckles in the back seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC