Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thumbs down California Governor Vetos Booster Seat Bill

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: California Governor Vetos Booster Seat Bill

Very sad.

Grumble... growl... stomp around...

I wonder if the legislature can vote to override like they can in the senate/house of reps.

Stupid Terminator!
    ~ Nora ~ CPST ~
    Mom to
    Miss Sidney (4 yrs)

~ In Memory of Aaron ~

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ignora View Post
    Grumble... growl... stomp around...

I wonder if the legislature can vote to override like they can in the senate/house of reps.

Stupid Terminator!
    That was my reaction too..
    Janice, no longer a CPST, and now a single Mommy to C, 10 and big enough to pass the 5-step test and S(born 12/9/09), in a Roundabout 50.

So he was basically saying that we need to educate everyone on doing the right thing and that will fix the issue without any need for law changes. Well, he isn't realizing that people look to the law for best practice. Most in California will see the law saying 6 years in regular seatbelt and they will follow that willingly.

I wish those states (such as my own state of Texas) would follow best practice laws instead of lower requirements. It would be best if we didn't have any laws and everyone followed the expert recommendations, but that just doesn't happen in our society. The only way people will buckle up kids properly is if the law states it needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post
    So he was basically saying that we need to educate everyone on doing the right thing and that will fix the issue without any need for law changes. Well, he isn't realizing that people look to the law for best practice. Most in California will see the law saying 6 years in regular seatbelt and they will follow that willingly.

I wish those states (such as my own state of Texas) would follow best practice laws instead of lower requirements. It would be best if we didn't have any laws and everyone followed the expert recommendations, but that just doesn't happen in our society. The only way people will buckle up kids properly is if the law states it needs to be done.
    Not only that, but simply by passing the law makes California eligible to receive $$ from the Federal governerment for the purpose of EDUCATION!

(sorry for the yelling!)

Senior Community Member

On a slightly positive note, was this the same bill that at the last minute, was changed to say infants should RF to one year OR 20 pounds? If it is, it's good that it didn't pass, right? Wouldn't it be better for a 6-year-old to be in a seatbelt than a 6-month-old to be forward facing? Or was that a different bill? Either way, the outcome stinks... I'm just sayin!
    DD - 7yrs

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post
    On a slightly positive note, was this the same bill that at the last minute, was changed to say infants should RF to one year OR 20 pounds? If it is, it's good that it didn't pass, right? Wouldn't it be better for a 6-year-old to be in a seatbelt than a 6-month-old to be forward facing? Or was that a different bill? Either way, the outcome stinks... I'm just sayin!
    Turns out I misinterpreted the wording of that final change. It was not going to change it to 1 year or 20 pounds afterall.

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by natysr View Post
    Turns out I misinterpreted the wording of that final change. It was not going to change it to 1 year or 20 pounds afterall.
    Oooh, I missed that update, whoops. Sorry about the bill.
    DD - 7yrs