Question Can my daughter legally ride in a car without a booster seat?

ajfonz

Hello!
My daughter just turned 8 and she is 50 inches tall. I read the California DMV rule about car/booster seats and it is very vague. My question has a few parts...
1-Can she legally ride in the car with out a booster now that she is 8 years old?
2-If I let her ride without a booster do you recommend a seat belt adjuster for kids?
3-Should she stay in a booster until she is 4 foot 9 inches (57 inches?)

Thank you in advance for your reply!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The "easy" way to sum up California's child restraint law is that a child must be 8 years old or 4'9". However, the actual text of the law says that the seatbelt must also fit properly (lap belt low on the hips, shoulder belt crossing the middle of the shoulder). Almost no 8-year-old will meet that criteria.

So technically it's not legal (although honestly, even most cops don't know that part of the law). But beyond that, it's not safe, and that's what's more important. In a crash, and improperly fitting belt can cause serious injuries or even death.

I would strongly suggest keeping her in a backless booster until the seatbelt fits well, which tends to happen around 4'9" but can vary by child and seating position.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I also wanted to add that if she's at least 60 lbs, the Safety 1st Incognito might be a good choice. It's inexpensive and looks less like a typical booster seat, so it appeals to older kids who can still benefit from it. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Incognito-Positioning-Seat/dp/B00FLXBHE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406143882&sr=8-1&keywords=safety+1st+incognito"]Amazon.com : Safety 1st Incognito Kid Positioning Seat, Dark Gray : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby[/ame]

jjordan

Welcome to car-seat.org. :)

From my understanding of the California booster law, the child must be in a booster until the adult seatbelt in the vehicle fits properly. The 5 step test is a good way to determine whether or not your daughter is ready to ride booster-less, though I will say that a 50" 8 year old is very, very, VERY unlikely to pass the 5 step test. The 57"/4'9" guideline is used because that is the height at which most kids will pass the 5 step test, though it still does depend on the child and the vehicle.

Hope this helps! :)

ETA: Jennie is faster than me! :)

Lemonade

Legally my 49"-50" 8.5 yr old can ride without anything (in PA). However, there is no way he would be safe. He's still in a high back booster. A no back would probably be fine in certain seating positions in my car (though not in my DH's car as the seats have a strange bank to them). But he doesn't complain and fits well in his high back so there he stays.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC