Push for the insurance company to total van or not?

msg221

My neighbor was hit by a red light runner last Wed. in her 2010 Kia Sedona. Thankfully it was just her in the van and not her twin 4 year-old boys (especially because, despite my advice, she has them in booster seats now!).

Anyway a couple of days ago, she was told the van would be totaled because there was $13k worth of damage and it's probably only worth $11k at most. Well, now the body shop has come back saying that they may be able to fix it for less than she was orignally told, so of course the insurance company probably won't consider it totaled just so they don't have to pay out as much. It was a front end collision and her air bag deployed and she sustained minor injuries (neck pain, suffered from a bad headache days later). Should she push to just have it totaled? I just can't imagine that it would drive like it was before the accident, especially with that much damage. Will it be just as safe if they repair it? Maybe it's just me and my comfort level about driving around a vehicle that has been repaired after that much damage.

Last edited:
ADS

tl01

I certainly would. I thought the cut off for a vehicle as totaled was earlier than that. I thought they cut off around 70% of the value of the car. I wouldn't take anything less than OEM parts too. That often increases the costs.

Last edited:

DawgDad

All cars can be completely repaired, sometimes better than new. However, it's way too costly, especially if they use proper factory parts. If the body shop said there was $13K in damage to the car upon initial inspection, but then came back later and saw there wasn't any damage to the frame or axle, but rather just body damage...then they still need to submit an estimate. Typically, if the cost of repairs reaches a certain percentage threshold on what the market value of the car is according to your insurance company, then they will total the vehicle and pay your neighbor the worth of the vehicle to go towards the purchase of a new car.

I would just make sure that the damage is mostly body and see what it totals up to... Make sure the parts are mostly factory before they send the final bid to her insurance company. I can't really say one way or the other which is better (total or repair) without the final verdict from the body shop.

tl01

All cars can be completely repaired, sometimes better than new. However, it's way too costly, especially if they use proper factory parts. If the body shop said there was $13K in damage to the car upon initial inspection, but then came back later and saw there wasn't any damage to the frame or axle, but rather just body damage...then they still need to submit an estimate. Typically, if the cost of repairs reaches a certain percentage threshold on what the market value of the car is according to your insurance company, then they will total the vehicle and pay your neighbor the worth of the vehicle to go towards the purchase of a new car.

I would just make sure that the damage is mostly body and see what it totals up to... Make sure the parts are mostly factory before they send the final bid to her insurance company. I can't really say one way or the other which is better (total or repair) without the final verdict from the body shop.

I have seen relative's cars repaired after crashes at fantastic repair shops. Shops that people ship their classic and special cars to for repairs bc these places do exceptional work. Even using OEM parts... I wouldn't take a car back if there's any frame damage even if it was repaired properly. The car is never the same.

DawgDad

I have seen relative's cars repaired after crashes at fantastic repair shops. Shops that people ship their classic and special cars to for repairs bc these places do exceptional work. Even using OEM parts... I wouldn't take a car back if there's any frame damage even if it was repaired properly. The car is never the same.

Don't disagree...if there is frame damage, it's not an easy repair...and usually VERY expensive. So if the body shop came down on their original "eye ball" estimate, then there is a good chance it might be all cosmetic.

Athena

I certainly would. I thought the cut off for a vehicle as totaled was earlier than that. I thought they cut off around 70% of the value of the car. I wouldn't take anything less than OEM parts too. That often increases the costs.

Sorry to hijack, but what are OEM parts? Thank you!

As far as the OP's description, I'd definitely push for a total. Our's is minor and I'm still concerned about whether it'll be as safe as it was before.

Last edited:

SavsMom

Agree 100%.
A good body shop is key if the repairs are cosmetic.
If there is frame damage - I would fight tooth and nail to get it totalled. Frame damaged vehicles are never the same. And not that it's an issue but a frame damaged vehicle results in a significant loss of value when trying to sell or trade it in. Many dealers won't even take them.

msg221

Well, I heard back from her yesterday and her insurance is going to consider it totaled. Her dilemma now is finding another vehicle that she can afford because they are only offering her the low value of $9500, minus her $1000 deductible, and the $6k she still owes on the van, so she won't have much left for a down payment. She doesn't feel another van is necessary. She had purchased the van brand new when she was expecting her twins but now she doesn't feel she needs something as big plus she is a single mom with daycare expenses for two so she doesn't want a huge payment. She is looking at a small SUV like the Hyundai Tucson.

tl01

Well, I heard back from her yesterday and her insurance is going to consider it totaled. Her dilemma now is finding another vehicle that she can afford because they are only offering her the low value of $9500, minus her $1000 deductible, and the $6k she still owes on the van, so she won't have much left for a down payment. She doesn't feel another van is necessary. She had purchased the van brand new when she was expecting her twins but now she doesn't feel she needs something as big plus she is a single mom with daycare expenses for two so she doesn't want a huge payment. She is looking at a small SUV like the Hyundai Tucson.

Tell her to keep pushing for more. Is that a first offer? Tell her to show why her van is with more? Look for similar vans online, kbb, anything like how her van has low mileage or she did all schedule maintenance etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC