Suggestions for 95 lb. 15 year old with autism- posted by JMD

U

Unregistered

I have a 15 yo 95 lb daughter with autism that sometimes becomes aggressive and since she is so thin the seat belt does not restrict her movement and she can grab me and my hair even if she is on the back seat on the opposite side. She is very functional but has self-regulation issues and although this does not happen every week, it has been occurring about once a month the last 6 months and it is dangerous as I am driving when she does it.

What options can you recommend that can restrict her movement and that she can not take off?

Thanks!

ADS

AustinMusic

While I am not a tech (nor an expert), I think the first thing to consider is the reason behind her behaviour. Please forgive my lack of knowledge regarding autism but is it possible there is a specific ‘trigger’ so to speak which might contribute to her behaviour? From your post, it does not sound like physical support needs or sensory issues are playing any part in the situation, however I would consider this possibility. Generally speaking if you are able to identify a specific cause and address it, you might negate the requirement to purchase a special needs restraint. I understand however such investigating could prove very tricky while driving!

If a special needs seat or harness is required, there a few options available but which one is most suitable will depend on a number of factors.

Firstly, how tall is she? If she is over a certain height this may reduce the number of available options.

Second, are there any support requirements which need to be managed?

Third, how determined will she be to continue moving out of her seat? For example does she lean forward because the extending motion of the seatbelt allows her to? If so, would locking the vehicle seatbelt be enough to stop the problem? Or, would she go as far as actually unbuckling the seatbelt? If the latter is true, then a special needs restraint of some description is definitely needed.

Fourth, if a restraint is required will it be compatible with the vehicle(s) in which it would be installed?

Depending on the above, I would recommend investigating the following:

• Merritt Manufacturing: The Roosevelt (suitable until 115lbs)

This is a 5 point harness seat suitable for users up to 115lbs and 62 inches tall. There are various accessories which can be purchased to help with support needs and preventing a user from unbuckling the harness.

• Merritt Manufacturing: The Churchill Booster (suitable until 175lbs)

This is a special needs booster seat suitable for occupants up to a weight of 175lbs and 72 inches in height. Like the Roosevelt, there are accessories available to help with additional needs.

• Columbia Medical: 2400 Spirit Car Seat (suitable until 130lbs)

This is a 5 point harness seat suitable for users up to 130lbs and 66 inches tall. Various accessories can be purchased to improve support for the user.

• Columbia Medical: 2500 Therapedic Car Seat (suitable until 130lbs)

This is a 5 point harness seat suitable for users up to 130lbs and 66 inches tall. As above, support accessories are available.

• Special Tomato: Large MPS Car Seat (Suitable until 150lbs)

Although a harnessed seat, it is of a rather different design developed specifically to address user support issues and can be customised if needed. The user weight limit is 150lbs however there is no height limit.

• E-Z-On Products: 86Y Harness / 103Z Vest (both suitable until 168lbs). This may require heavy duty tether anchors to be fitted - see below.

E-Z-On Products have a number of different harnesses or vests available for use in family vehicles as well as school buses. The 103Z Vest is designed in such a way the vest closes behind the wearer to help prevent unauthorised opening.

For a time, we used the 103Z Vest in our family car and were very pleased with it. Nonetheless, the installation of their Heavy Duty Tether Anchor (Item A) in the car maybe required and this can be very easy or very difficult depending on the vehicle. There is a pictorial self-installation guide here, if you are interested in the process.

If you are to use a vest, the most complex decision to be made is likely to be what mounting system is best to use. This depends on the vehicle, the possibilities regarding installing the heavy duty tether anchor, the chosen vest, the needs of the child, normal vehicle occupancy and the to need access the seats/trunk, etc. There are two main types of mount; the Floor Mount which uses two anchor points and four straps and negates the use of the seatbelt entirely, or the Tether Mount which secures to the shoulder straps of the vest but requires a lap belt, or lap-shoulder belt in conjunction with a locking clip, to secure the hips of the wearer. The latter only requires one tether anchor; the former two.

Clearly there are a lot of options and considerations so I hope this is not too much information! Please also be aware that some of these seats/harnesses can be very expensive. If you have medical insurance it might be worth contacting the provider to ask if they could cover, or at least contribute to, the cost of purchasing a seat.

If you need anymore information about the E-Z-On Vests, I’d be happy to try and answer any questions.:)

I hope this helps.

griffinej5

Does she have good fine motor skills? Can she and would she open a buckle on a seat? Would a buckle guard and locking her belt work.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/eSpecial-Needs-Seat-Buckle-Guard/dp/B0041EDZBW/ref=pd_sbs_ba_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ECN67AVJ2HBZ8RDHHT4"]http://www.amazon.com/eSpecial-Needs-Seat-Buckle-Guard/dp/B0041EDZBW/ref=pd_sbs_ba_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ECN67AVJ2HBZ8RDHHT4[/ame]

If she would be able to unbuckle herself, behavioral treatment of the problem may be the way to fix it. However, if it could be fixed with a cheap device, I'd be tempted to try that first.

henrietta

I have a 15 yo 95 lb daughter with autism that sometimes becomes aggressive and since she is so thin the seat belt does not restrict her movement and she can grab me and my hair even if she is on the back seat on the opposite side. She is very functional but has self-regulation issues and although this does not happen every week, it has been occurring about once a month the last 6 months and it is dangerous as I am driving when she does it.

What options can you recommend that can restrict her movement and that she can not take off?

Thanks!

Many years ago when I worked in group homes with special needs adults, we used a harness like this one for a man who would get up, wander round the van, & throw things at us: http://www.medifab.co.nz/products/car-seats-harnesses/houdini-31-7-point-harness#.U6zWXUDb47A

It is made for those who escape their seatbelt and have behavior challenges in the car that pose a danger to themselves and others. It would keep her from causing a wreck or hurting you. And you can continue to work on whatever behavioral challenges or sensory needs for car riding, while still getting where you need to go. Hopefully, there's a similar one in the
US. But I'd assume it's legal here, b/c it's not a safety restraint. It's not in place of a seatbelt and the seatbelt isn't used to "install" it.

I'm not special needs trained, but I did work towards a degree in special ed, worked with special needs adults, and we have kids with autism in my family, including my 8 year old son. I've had to pull over on the Interstate before and sit while he screamed, hit, kicked, spit, and threw things at me, so I hear you on the danger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC