2009 Sedona, mileage question

JlynnB

Would you consider a 2009 Sedona with 103,000 miles on it? We are in the market for a used minivan and would like to spend $10,000 or less, so a 2006+ Kia is definitely an option. I'm just not sure if it's worth an hour drive to check out one with that kind of mileage. Thanks in advance for any advice!

ADS

DawgDad

Couple things you will run into is the need will be sooner to replace the wear out parts on the car. It's not much to be concerned about in a Toyota and Honda, but the Kia is sometimes a coin flip. By 2009, they really have gotten better on their vehicles in terms of reliability, better initial manufactured parts, and overall more intuitive design.

My only caution I give to anyone looking at a minivan more than 5 years old with over 100K on it...any brand...you have to remember what this was purchased for. It is a people mover...a little people mover. Children can be quite rough on any car, but moreso it seems on the ultimate in convenience. Sometimes they are immaculate and sometimes they look worse than a contractor's van. Use judgement, but if the price is right, the features are what you wanted, and the color is exactly what you guys like...then go put your hands on it and test drive it. Bring your kids, stroller, car seats, etc...and fully test it like you would drive it everyday. Do a routine park and get everyone out and then do it with everyone getting back in.

Good luck! Car shopping can be fun if you let it... ;)

CarSafetyGuy

Couple things you will run into is the need will be sooner to replace the wear out parts on the car. It's not much to be concerned about in a Toyota and Honda, but the Kia is sometimes a coin flip. By 2009, they really have gotten better on their vehicles in terms of reliability, better initial manufactured parts, and overall more intuitive design.

My only caution I give to anyone looking at a minivan more than 5 years old with over 100K on it...any brand...you have to remember what this was purchased for. It is a people mover...a little people mover. Children can be quite rough on any car, but moreso it seems on the ultimate in convenience. Sometimes they are immaculate and sometimes they look worse than a contractor's van. Use judgement, but if the price is right, the features are what you wanted, and the color is exactly what you guys like...then go put your hands on it and test drive it. Bring your kids, stroller, car seats, etc...and fully test it like you would drive it everyday. Do a routine park and get everyone out and then do it with everyone getting back in.

Good luck! Car shopping can be fun if you let it... ;)

Lots of good advice here from DawgDad.

jjordan

I would possibly go to check it out. If it is a private seller and if you are buying with cash, then they are likely to be talked down on the price if you remind them of the very high miles and wave cash in front of their faces. :) So you could potentially get a really good deal.

I personally would take a slightly older Sedona with fewer miles for the same price, though. So for me it would come down to, is this priced like a 2006 with 103k miles (in which case I'd take the 2009), or like a 2007 with 80k miles (in which case I'd take the 2007)?

JlynnB

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I would also prefer a slightly older van with fewer miles. We currently live in a pretty remote area and haven't seen many good options nearby, but we are moving to a big city at the end of the month. We will hold off for now and resume the search after we get settled. And we'll be sure to bring the car seats & kids along when we go shopping! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC