frontier 90 lap belt guide

ADS

Keeyamah

I didn't realize there was a belt guide issue. Any links?

It was part of the IIHS (I hope I have the acronym right) booster fit checking. It got a "check fit" rating, rather than a "best bet". Britax had come out and said they were going to make changes somewhen. There are a couple threads about it.

mommyfrog

I'm almost positive there was talk of the red part under the arm rests being redesigned. It wasn't holding the lap belt down far enough but you could use the secure guard to help and that it was being redesigned at the beginning of this year. Then I heard nothing about it. Now that I am ready to buy one, I'd like to know for sure if it ever happened.

They're working on a redesign, apparently. For anyone encountering lap belt fit issues, contact Britax Customer Service with your date of manufacture and serial number and request an SG clip. This will help to reposition the belt for a proper fit.

No booster can fit every child perfectly, so the fit should always be "checked", these seats are just a little less likely to fit properly, particularly on young kids. I have no issues with my Pinnacle CT and Frontier CT in booster mode for an 8-year old.

mommyfrog

That's helpful. I'll probably use it for my six year old harnessed for a couple more years, then maybe as a booster for him until my youngest needs it. He won't need it for about four years. Anyhow, any kiddo using it as a booster would likely be older/bigger. So I won't worry too much.

rfk

The "check fit" fix was originally coming in January, then Q2, and last I read here was June. Stay tuned...

lili

Is the issue significant enough to wait for the fix? This seat is on sale right now, $100 off and I need to decide if I should buy it or wait. ??????

Is the issue significant enough to wait for the fix? This seat is on sale right now, $100 off and I need to decide if I should buy it or wait. ??????

At that price, I'd go for it. Honestly, I'd rather get a free SG clip and use that in booster mode even if the fit is great because it provides another point of connection between the child and the seat, and prevents the child from submarining under the lap belt.

Keeyamah

At that price, I'd go for it. Honestly, I'd rather get a free SG clip and use that in booster mode even if the fit is great because it provides another point of connection between the child and the seat, and prevents the child from submarining under the lap belt.

In addition to what happiness-and-balance said, I'll just mention that it may not work for you guys as a booster, so you may have to (or chose to) buy a dedicated booster to work better for your child and car.

lili

Anyone have a picture of what this SG clip looks like? I can't even visualize it and I'm interested in what you said about having another "point of connection." I don't really understand what that means. I thought that people were suggesting this clip for use when using the Frontier as a HARNESSED seat? Am I wrong? Are the fit issues only when used as a booster with the vehicle belt?

Thank you!

lili

In addition to what happiness-and-balance said, I'll just mention that it may not work for you guys as a booster, so you may have to (or chose to) buy a dedicated booster to work better for your child and car.

Keeyamah, can you clarify this? Why do you think it might not work for us as a booster?

rachelandtyke

Anyone have a picture of what this SG clip looks like? I can't even visualize it and I'm interested in what you said about having another "point of connection." I don't really understand what that means. I thought that people were suggesting this clip for use when using the Frontier as a HARNESSED seat? Am I wrong? Are the fit issues only when used as a booster with the vehicle belt?

Thank you!

The fit issue is in booster mode only, nothing wrong with the harness. The Secure Guard Clip (SG Clip) is used in booster mode only and can help hold the lap belt down. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Keeyamah

Keeyamah, can you clarify this? Why do you think it might not work for us as a booster?

It's coming from the fact that some parents and children don't like the Frontier in booster mode. They are large and can be difficult to buckle. Also in some cases, the belt geometry is problematic and it may not retract with normal shifting, etc. It's just a thought to keep in mind. To be honest, I don't plan on using my Frontier 85 as a booster. It's just so large and heavy and I honestly worry about both my child and mother being able to buckle it, it's in my mom's van, he is already booster training in my car for a variety of reasons.

lili

The fit issue is in booster mode only, nothing wrong with the harness. The Secure Guard Clip (SG Clip) is used in booster mode only and can help hold the lap belt down. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Thank you SO much. This is really helpful information. I'm hoping to use this harnessed for at least the next year and a half or so, so I'm not sure I need to worry about this. The clip looks like a good option if needed when we get to that stage. Thank you for taking the time to send me all those links as well. Much appreciated!

lili

It's coming from the fact that some parents and children don't like the Frontier in booster mode. They are large and can be difficult to buckle. Also in some cases, the belt geometry is problematic and it may not retract with normal shifting, etc. It's just a thought to keep in mind. To be honest, I don't plan on using my Frontier 85 as a booster. It's just so large and heavy and I honestly worry about both my child and mother being able to buckle it, it's in my mom's van, he is already booster training in my car for a variety of reasons.

OK, I see. I wasn't aware that some people don't like it in booster mode. This is a new stage for us, so feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

mommyfrog

Did you find it any cheaper than $264? It seems like that is the same price everyone has it right now. My sister got one for $220 on Amazon a couple months ago, but it had a beat up box.

lili

Did you find it any cheaper than $264? It seems like that is the same price everyone has it right now. My sister got one for $220 on Amazon a couple months ago, but it had a beat up box.

No, I'm in Canada and I've found it for $288, which I think is good for the seat here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC