Volvo XC70

Hazelandlucy

I am still trying to find a car or SUV that will allow two rear facing convertibles and room for an adult in the backseat. Does anyone know if a 2014/2015 XC70 will allow it? Could I install two narrow seats (two Foonfs or Foonf/Coccoro) next to each other and leave room on the outboard side for an adult?

The other car I am interested in is the Infiniti QX60 (used to be JX35). Does anyone have any experience with installing a center and outboard seat in that car? Any room for a backseat passenger?

Thank you! I really think the low to the ground xc70 would be a big help in loading my DD1 into the Foonf or allowing her to climb in the car herself.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I hate my parents' XC70, but I have sat beside two carseats in the back (and I'm no lightweight. :eek: ) The recessed buckles can make fastening awkward, but it's doable.

henrietta

Maplesmom,

I was actually at the Volvo dealership the other day...and the newest XC70's backseat looks exactly the same as my 2002's. The seat *may* be wider, but it wouldn't even matter to me, b/c the seat belt geometry appears exactly the same. (middle belt overlaps passenger side buckle PITA).

I really love the XC70...but 3 across the back is a pain unless it's all harnessed car seats.

CarSafetyGuy

Maplesmom,

I was actually at the Volvo dealership the other day...and the newest XC70's backseat looks exactly the same as my 2002's. The seat *may* be wider, but it wouldn't even matter to me, b/c the seat belt geometry appears exactly the same. (middle belt overlaps passenger side buckle PITA).

I really love the XC70...but 3 across the back is a pain unless it's all harnessed car seats.

Yup, the vehicle width has remained essentially the same since the XC70 was introduced.

Hazelandlucy

I have ruled out the Volvo and the ML350 as I think I need three rows to make a new car truly worth it.

I have a Honda Odyssey for the weekend. I really don't want a minivan, but it's pretty awesome. I think now it's between the MDX and Odyssey. The Odyssey doesn't have the auto brake feature though.

I do wish it was a bit more luxurious. I am tempted by the Chrysler and Nissan minivans, but they don't appear nearly as safe. Part of me wants to not care, but I really am trying to make an upgrade in both safety and space.

Is there anything getting redesigned in 2015 that would suit me? I want all the latest greatest safety - small overlap, auto brake, 5 stars from NHTSA - and room for an adult in the second row and a third row that is ok for an adult.

SnoGurl

I have ruled out the Volvo and the ML350 as I think I need three rows to make a new car truly worth it.

I have a Honda Odyssey for the weekend. I really don't want a minivan, but it's pretty awesome. I think now it's between the MDX and Odyssey. The Odyssey doesn't have the auto brake feature though.

I do wish it was a bit more luxurious. I am tempted by the Chrysler and Nissan minivans, but they don't appear nearly as safe. Part of me wants to not care, but I really am trying to make an upgrade in both safety and space.

Is there anything getting redesigned in 2015 that would suit me? I want all the latest greatest safety - small overlap, auto brake, 5 stars from NHTSA - and room for an adult in the second row and a third row that is ok for an adult.

There's a thread about the 2015 Sedona, it looks promising!

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=2747013#post2747013

CarSafetyGuy

The current generation Odyssey and MDX are about as good as it gets from a safety perspective, in my opinion. Just as the 10-year old Odyssey (2005) is still one of the safest vehicles you can buy today, I have no doubt the current Odyssey will be regarded in the same way a decade or more from now.

Hazelandlucy

Does the lack of auto braking matter? How much of a difference does it make to hit a car at 25mph than 15-19 mph after being slowed by the auto brake?

henrietta

I'm with you on loving the Odyssey...we're looking at an '08 this week (EX-L). And I feel the same way you do...wish it was a bit more luxurious. Giving up my comfy Volvo seat is going to be tough on me. :( I do not want anything made by Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. I universally am not that happy with what I've seen with them, and call me biased IDC, but I don't trust them either. The Nissan Quest doesn't have a "Stow and Go" third row seat, which kind of rules it out for me (although we do love Nissans in general). And I don't get to purchase brand new, unless I can talk hubby into a brand new Kia Sedona. He isn't against a brand new Nissan Rogue (7 passenger version), but I don't think that third row space will be great at all. And I'd like to separate my kiddos so that I can allow them to survive to adulthood! ;)

GL!!

henrietta

cantabdad

Does the lack of auto braking matter? How much of a difference does it make to hit a car at 25mph than 15-19 mph after being slowed by the auto brake?

These systems are generally too new -- and not widespread enough in the vehicle fleet -- to have a lot of detailed data on their performance or impacts. However, IIHS did a statistical analysis of insurance claims from similar vehicles both with and without autobraking and other technologies. They found a reduction in property damage claims of about 14% and similar impacts on bodily injury claims, though the data were limited and not all results were statistically significant.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...nd-adaptive-headlights-yield-biggest-benefits

Overall, I think these systems are proving their worth in terms of avoiding front-to-rear crashes and mitigating those crashes that do occur -- but at least to me, it seems that their primary effect is in reducing property damage. Not to say that you couldn't have injuries from a 25 mph crash, but most cars are now designed to handle those fairly well, with crumple zones, seatbelts and airbags. From a safety/injury perspective, the data seem to show that the most important technology is probably Electronic Stability Control (which is now mandatory) since it helps prevent rollovers and road departures, which tend to be severe crashes.

Last edited:

cantabdad

The Tesla Model X looks amazing if you can afford it and can be patient enough for their waiting list process. It's based on the Model S, which achieved excellent results in NHTSA testing (though IIHS hasn't tested it), but with 7-passenger, 3-row seating and optional AWD.

Edmunds has an overview of planned model-year changes:
http://www.edmunds.com/model-year-changes/2015/

It looks like several mid-size, 3-row SUVs will be newly redesigned for 2015, including Chevrolet Equinox, Mazda CX-9, and Honda Pilot; the Lexus RX series SUVs may also gain a 3rd-row option. Some of these did better than others in IIHS testing, but if redesigned they will presumably improve their performance and may offer new forward collision avoidance or autobrake systems. It may take some time before new test results are available, however.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC