Question 2014 Safest Car with third row?

U

Unregistered

Thank you for this website! I ran across a post on your website from 2008 that discussed safest 3rd row seat vehicles. I was looking for an update! I have known so many people that have been in car accidents! If you have a young family one of the best ways to protect them is with a safe car IMHO. When we bought our last car I tried to the research for safest third row car available and found it very difficult. We live in Colorado and were looking for an all weather vehicle. I was amazed to find at the time that many SUVs had traction control to stop a rollover but did not have ultra high strength pillars if they did rollover. I found that certain brands I thought were safe were really no better than other vehicles. I found out that certain tests were not performed by the IIHS so manufactures did not protect their vehicles in these areas. Does anyone have a study on 3rd row vehicle safety that relates to actual accident results? With todays technology it might be just as good to look at vehicles that "avoid" accidents as well. I will say I ended up purchasing a foreign car that seemed to me to have the greatest number of safety features for their 3rd row, including airbags for all three rows and ultra high strength pillars.
Thanks] you!

ADS

cantabdad

In terms of 2014 models, it looks like the only 3-row vehicles that have earned the Top Safety Pick (or TSP+) rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety are:

Toyota Highlander
Acura MDX
Honda Odyssey
Volvo XC90
Mitsubishi Outlander

There certainly may be other vehicles that are equally safe, but IIHS has not yet tested them. (It's annoying that they don't do the full suite of testing on popular family vehicles like minivans and midsize/large SUVs.)

DogznKatz

I would add this: Make sure you have adequate top tether anchors for forward facing harnessed seats. Had a mom who bought a new SUV and wanted to put her two preschoolers in the third row and the new babe in the second. Unfortunately her plans changed when she discoved only one tether in the third row.

loki

In terms of 2014 models, it looks like the only 3-row vehicles that have earned the Top Safety Pick (or TSP+) rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety are:

Toyota Highlander
Acura MDX
Honda Odyssey
Volvo XC90
Mitsubishi Outlander

There certainly may be other vehicles that are equally safe, but IIHS has not yet tested them. (It's annoying that they don't do the full suite of testing on popular family vehicles like minivans and midsize/large SUVs.)

Besides these, also consider the Honda Pilot, Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/etc and Toyota Sienna. I'd scratch the Outlander; it doesn't weigh enough. Basically, if safety is your priority, you're looking for the heaviest vehicles you can find with good front, side, and roof scores, as well as with ESC and head airbags by all windows.

cantabdad

Since you mentioned avoiding crashes as well as surviving them, you might be interested in Consumer Reports' road tests, which have information on steering, braking, and acceleration. One of their interesting metrics is "avoidance maneuver" speed, which is the maximum speed at which one of their drivers could negotiate a series of turns on the track. All of the data are available online to subscribers; I was also able to access it for free via the public library.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC